Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Welcome to the Jungle vs. Sweet Child O' Mine
Welcome to the Jungle 104 43.88%
Sweet Child O' Mine 133 56.12%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: The happiest person you know

I know a few people who I think are about close to tied in being the happiest. Based on these people:

Physical attractiveness one way or the other is not relevant.

They are generally interesting to talk to, but not necessarily THAT interesting, especially at first.

They are more kind and forgiving than most. A couple are slightly moreso than average and a couple are way off the charts.

They are about average for people I know as far as professional success. This is more than average for the population in general.

They are sincere and trustworthy, but most of the people I bother to get to know are. The people I do know that aren't sincere and trustworthy are definitely not happy though.

I think the happy people are generally outgoing and compassionate (at least personally - they aren't necessarily trying to save the world).
Old 08-18-2006, 01:35 PM

I agree with the forgiveness correlating to happiness. Also not taking anything too seriously.

I know a lot of unhappy religious people.
My friend who is a new dad couldn't be happier.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we could take this a different direction and discuss what happiness really is, because I think the person who fully understands all the things there are to be unhappy about and still remains content with themself is happier than the "ignorance is bliss" types, even if they aren't smiling quite as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always find myself quoting you TME, but whatever, you're usually spot-on.

The happiest people I know have a great perspective on life, have usually been through some serious [censored] (divorce, death of parents, whatever), but are comfortable with themselves, their life views, and knowing that they haven't figured it all out yet, and probably never will.

There's not too strong a correlation between superficial qualities (wealth, prestige, attractive-ness, etc.) and the person being truly happy / content from my experience. But it always helps to have an edge I'd say [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Al
Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know any happy people.

Thus 'happiest'. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the King isn't necesarily happy. He has no one to share the scenery with...

b
Old 08-18-2006, 04:44 PM

The answers to this question depend heavily upon your interpretation of the word "happy." To me, happiness is beyond cheerfulness and is reliant on a certain level of introspection, combined with the ability to adapt to new situations and overcome both minor and major tragedies. The person I thought of isn’t particularly attractive or successful (yet…though he has no burning ambition to be famous or rich, he’s an astonishing artist, despite his lack of despair), but he knows himself and his desires and limitations and never tilts, essentially. These traits make it inevitable that he's great fun to talk to and trustworthy and overall a naturally good giving person. I wish I was more like him. I probably could be…if I tried harder.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:50 PM

the happiest person i knew was my grandmother, she was allways shining of happines nomather what, she beet cancer 3 times but the fourth got her. and allthru the treatmens she never look sad. there was this glow in her eyes.
she wasn't succesfull or anything.
And thru my life i have never met anyone that has had that glow in their eyes and enjoyed life as mush as she did.