Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Hand vs. Negreanu on Day 1C

[ QUOTE ]
I think Negreanu makes this raise in this situation no matter what. If he is playing random cards (which he pretty much is in this situation), there is about a 1/12 chance he has a 5 and a 1/15 chance he has a higher Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is entirely too simplistic and i disagree about him doing this with EVERYTHING. OP is a brand new player to the table DN has never seen before. he has to have some sort of standard to checkraising in this spot, not some blind auto-100% fixed rule. once he actually makes the checkraise obviously the probability of him actually having the 5 is way higher than 1/12.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Negreanu makes this raise in this situation no matter what. If he is playing random cards (which he pretty much is in this situation), there is about a 1/12 chance he has a 5 and a 1/15 chance he has a higher Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is entirely too simplistic and i disagree about him doing this with EVERYTHING. OP is a brand new player to the table DN has never seen before. he has to have some sort of standard to checkraising in this spot, not some blind auto-100% fixed rule. once he actually makes the checkraise obviously the probability of him actually having the 5 is way higher than 1/12.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Negreanu sees an opportunity for a squeeze play representing trips. Yeh, I think he would make this play pretty much automatically, since it picks up the pot most of the time. If he is playing every hand, he must be pulling crap like this to make it pay off.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 PM

I am really suspicious of Negreanu's play and I think he is bluffing. First of all, the guy is playing practically every hand, presumably with the idea of stealing a lot of pots.

Secondly, while he could have a 5, since he would probably call with any two here, I don't think this is the way he would play a 5. The small checkraise is the way a weak player would play trips. Negreanu would probably lead out. If he checked, he would probably check/call, rather than make a reraise that looked like trips to make everyone fold. It seems like he is making a cheap attempt to steal the pot.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF sucks, you have to make a move at the weak guy if you're so sure he's weak, hit him back to at least 4k

[/ QUOTE ]

if u think he is weak why do u raise w top pair
Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Negreanu is seeing almost every flop. He must be making plays like that. If he was playing mostly complete calling stations, there wouldn't be much point in trying to outplay them postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Negreanu was trying to make the adjustment the last 2 years to not try to muscle out amateurs?

If that's true I doubt he's trying to bluff Cielo here, who is an amateur and thus a sterotypical calling station.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PF sucks, you have to make a move at the weak guy if you're so sure he's weak, hit him back to at least 4k

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Nath is saying to hit him back preflop. That is how I would play this hand if I chose to play at all. Reraising preflop will most likely get DN to fold. Especially if you hav'nt been 3-betting much preflop. Being OOP will show much strength from your corner and almost guarantee a HU battle. If DN calls then obviously you are far behind. By reraising and taking control of this hand/knocking DN out of it and getting HU, your hand is seriously disguised (since he won't expect you to hold crap like you do) and you can make your standard c-bet. If the flop sucked for you, you can always put the breaks on if you get a flop bet called. With this flop though, you would have had some serious options (c/c,c/r, or lead right out).

I just think if you want to play this hand, then calling and letting DN squeeze/outplay you on the flop is terrible. Reraise or fold. All depends on your image and tendencies to raise light.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure nath was talking about preflop
Old 08-13-2006, 12:21 AM

I'm sure he means preflop, not postflop, Strassa. Kind of sucks how the abbreviation is the same. By the way, nice job out there. I didn't see where you finished up, but I noticed your name amongst the leaders a few times.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he means preflop, not postflop, Strassa. Kind of sucks how the abbreviation is the same. By the way, nice job out there. I didn't see where you finished up, but I noticed your name amongst the leaders a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume Strassa is saying why not raise the "cbet" on the flop with TPNK.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:29 AM

You could raise preflop, but I think it is pretty bad OOP. Also, Negreanu may flat all the reraise. Negreanu could even push if you reraise, which is a play the BB could make, although Negreanu usually prefers to play postflop.

You have a junk hand OOP. There are no really good plays, so fold. Negreanu can get cute with junk hands, but you shouldn't.