Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Stop Hating!

[ QUOTE ]
but overall I think the content was much better than what we get on many other poker broadcasts.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's similar to saying an aardvark produces tastier excrement than an anteater.

The broadcast was horrid. On the rare occasions they attempted to keep up the action, they couldn't. I actually had MUCH higher hopes for Gordon going into the event. He can't even perform simple addition (and it's not the $720k that bothers me... it's that he "corrected" himself with $620k). I honestly couldn't care less about the casual conversations between Gordon and the various guests. We can hear that banter in a multitude of outlets.

All that said, I'll buy it again next year. Great idea. Just pathetic execution.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone causing this kind of love/hate reaction will be GREAT for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a hate/hate reaction on this board, for some reason. Go to RGP for reaction more in tune with the general public.

That would be a non-reaction. For some reason, it's cool to hate Gold on this board. The rest of the world doesn't, and won't, give a sheeit about him, one way or the other.

Jamie Gold is the Anti-Raymer.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 AM

I watched the ESPN via webcast thanks to somebody who posted the link here. Whoever you are, I thank you.

I'd of gladly paid for it if I could of gotten it on Direct TV, but I thought the production was dynamite. I worked in radio when I was in high school, and can tell you that doing a production like that live for 15 hours is TOUGH. It's impossible not to make some horrendous ugly glaring mistakes. I thought Phil was better live than recut when I've seen him on Celeberty Poker.

I only watched for three hours and stopped about 1am PST. I woke up and decided to check back at 3:30 only to find the tournament over.

Anyone who said Jamie was a luckbox obviously wasn't watching the play I saw. The only time I saw him out of line is when he got it in with another player around midnight with top pair and got caught out with a dominated kicker.

I can't imagine what it must be like to play two weeks for 75+ hours in that tournament and make it to the end and not self distruct. Kudos to the entire final table.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you followed the coverage when it got down to the final 5 hand-for-hand but the players were only identified by Players, A,B,C,D, and E, and you were told that 1 player was an elite professional, while the other 4 were average-at-best internet qualifiers, I promise you people would not have been able to ID which was the pro and which were the donks (with the exception of ruling out Witasik and his repeated button limping.) I also guarantee you more people would have ID'd Gold as the pro for the way he ran over the table than AC...buddies argued tooth and nail that I was wrong, but I called them all retards, and shotgunned a beer, which was satisfying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably wouldn't be able to tell just from reading the hand history, but I bet you could tell a lot from watching how the players actually behaved, the table talk, the needless exposing of uncalled hands, the tells... even if you had no idea who any of these guys were, you could make a pretty decent judgment.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you followed the coverage when it got down to the final 5 hand-for-hand but the players were only identified by Players, A,B,C,D, and E, and you were told that 1 player was an elite professional, while the other 4 were average-at-best internet qualifiers, I promise you people would not have been able to ID which was the pro and which were the donks (with the exception of ruling out Witasik and his repeated button limping.) I also guarantee you more people would have ID'd Gold as the pro for the way he ran over the table than AC...buddies argued tooth and nail that I was wrong, but I called them all retards, and shotgunned a beer, which was satisfying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably wouldn't be able to tell just from reading the hand history, but I bet you could tell a lot from watching how the players actually behaved, the table talk, the needless exposing of uncalled hands, the tells... even if you had no idea who any of these guys were, you could make a pretty decent judgment.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if Daniel N doesn't do a LOT of table talk and exposing of uncalled hands.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And he gives off tells right and left, yeah?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And he gives off tells right and left, yeah?

[/ QUOTE ]

everyone gives off tells - some more than others, even pros. for example, Daniel N said he picked up some tells of Raymer that he used to help him beat Raymer in the Heads-up Championship. Does that make Raymer a donk?

the fanboy phenomenon in this forum is quite interesting - people just HATE to give credit to anyone who hasn't appeared on TV or the cover or cardplayer.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 AM

I see you're just trying to pick a fight, so have fun with that.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see you're just trying to pick a fight, so have fun with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the standard response in this forum? when faced with an argument that you can't counter, just claim that the other person is "looking for a fight" and abort?

ok.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:53 AM

This is beginning to look like Zen and the Art of Poker being confirmed. Did nobody read the 2+2 article about math and logic the other month? Luck is a huge factor. To win the WSOP you may well have to go on the rush of your life, 10K-80 M is the rush of your life. But you still have to avoid getting trapped a few times.