Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Re: How many of the players left in the WSOP are Jewish?

The first reply was making fun of Mel Gibson, who when recently pulled over by the police (for DUI) began to rant drunkenly about how Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.

The reply to that reply was a second-level tongue-in-cheek response, dragging out the ages-old, broken-down horse of the anti-semites that Jews conspire to control hollywood/the media/the golbal economy.

i.e. your sarcasm detector is broken. whether or not the Jews are responsible is under investigation.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:44 PM

These posts make me sick. Who cares what religion the players practice. It has no bearing what so ever in Poker. I just can't understand how being jewish or muslim makes a person smarter or crazy. I am sure there are just as many dumb jews and sane muslims. Stero types are created but uneducated or jealous people that have so self esteem and have to put others down to build themselves up. Save this for nits and fish, atleast I can belive you might play better then them.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so now you're proclaiming you'll be able to tell how well the player's parents raised them, or how emeshed in their culture they are, based solely on whether or not they're Jewish?

Wow, I wish I had that kinda talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not have the talent you mention (I know, boring answer).

My main interest is to find out how a terrific poker mind is created, and what part in that process stems from culture and parental guiding during the first years of life.

Is your opinion that culture, at a larger scale than parents and older siblings, is completely irrelevant for the development of a childs' skills?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first reply was making fun of Mel Gibson, who when recently pulled over by the police (for DUI) began to rant drunkenly about how Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.

The reply to that reply was a second-level tongue-in-cheek response, dragging out the ages-old, broken-down horse of the anti-semites that Jews conspire to control hollywood/the media/the golbal economy.

i.e. your sarcasm detector is broken. whether or not the Jews are responsible is under investigation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sarcasm detector is totally off the wall after reading through this thread. There is a fine line between bad attempts at sarcasm and anti-semitism. I would prefer not to read either.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These posts make me sick. Who cares what religion the players practice. It has no bearing what so ever in Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many world class poker players are Amish?

Of course religious background plays a significant matter to what you engage yourself into in life. If your parents, the school system or the church you belong to highly dislike doing sports, or studying at university, you will be less inclined to do these things compared to if you are raised in a culture/religion where these things are highly appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't understand how being jewish or muslim makes a person smarter or crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
If for example the jewish community forbids girls to go to school, but muslim parents force their daughters to study, the intelligence would be higher among muslims. Of couse you must make the assumption that intelligence can develop during the childhood with educational stimulation, and is not a purely inherited property. If so, my proclaim does not hold up.

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there are just as many dumb jews and sane muslims.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends if you are talking percents of each community respectively, or absolute numbers... I better not dwelve into this specific matter any further.

[ QUOTE ]
Stero types are created but uneducated or jealous people that have so self esteem and have to put others down to build themselves up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am really sorry if any of the posts in this thread appears to have this intention.

In Sweden it was forbidden for women to study at university until the year 1873. Is it strange that the male part of the population had a better chance to develop their logical reasoning, compared to women, with such legislation in place??? Merely stating the fact that Swedish women probably had a less developed experience of problem solving and logical reasoning compared to men at this time due to less academic stimulation and less support from their parents (a common view among womens history researchers in Sweden) is not a way to spread prejudices, it is a way of highlighening severe social injustice (in this Swedish case, in the past, fortunately).

How on earth will it be possible to have a discussion if a simple, and very interesting question, is met with such total cencorship without any logical reason (as I can see).
Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, when they're not busy starting all the wars, the Jews like to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOl and So true and who cares if jews canucks, [censored], icebacks, polacks, germans or wops.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:01 PM

OP,

check this out.

http://www.jinfo.org/
Old 08-09-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

check this out.

http://www.jinfo.org/

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting site.

When contemplating this impressive collection of "Jewish contribution to the cultural, scientific, and technological evolution of civilization" (quoted from website) I don't know ... hmmm... if poker playing deserves a place on that list...

However Chess has a section of its own.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM

All the good poker players are jews.
Even Farha,Vahedi and Esfandiari.
They just don't know it yet.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, check this one out:
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/goldberg.htm

(mods remove link in case it may have competing poker site ads)

engineer (jews are smart!), big nose (told ya!), and child molester, rounding out the trifecta.

he may or may not be backing one of the final tablers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Psh. Everyone knows that it's the Star Trek fans who are the
real child molesters.

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/ju..._106573_106573