Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2006, 08:51 AM

Default New Business/Website (want feedback)

This post might get a bit long so I'm going to try to keep it as structured as possible.

Who am I ?

In short, my name is Christian Kjellström and I'm a 21 year old student from Sweden. I'm studying for my Masters in Business and Management at the moment and when I don't study I work evenings for a marketing company and I play poker semiprofessionally. You can read more about me at my blog http://www.businessandpoker.com

ThisIsTheAd

http://www.ThisIsTheAd.com is the business/website I'm referring to in this post. I came up with the idea after discussing the MillionDollarHomepage with some of my friends at work (who hasn't?). There's a bunch of copycat sites who all failed miserably. However, I think there's still a lot of potential for similar sites as long as the idea is somewhat unique.

The idea

The idea is that only one ad will be on the frontpage and very in focus. To get this ad the advertiser has to pay more than the previous advertiser. However, whenever another advertiser buys the front page the previous advertiser gets money back. You get (100-days*4) back with a max at 90%. So 2 days is 90% back, 5 days is 80% back, 10 days is 60% back and so on. Only if no one is able to pay a higher price within 25 days will the advertiser pay the full amount.
Something that's important though is that every ad will remain on the site and users will be able to browse back and see all the ads. Not just a list of ads but the full ad with picture/text/etc. This is so that the advertisers will get traffic to their site even when they're no longer on the front page. It's also to make it more interresting for visitors to see which ad was first and how the site developed with new ads and higher prices. Hopefully I can drive enough traffic to get it going and then word of mouth can take care of the rest. People have an interest in seeing who's paying the most at the moment and how much money the site is actually making, which means visitors will come back again and again.

How to drive traffic/get advertisers

I have several plans, some of which I won't announce until I've finished them, but it involves contacting advertisers that are more likely than your normal advertiser to invest in a idea such as this (I think I know how). I'm also driving traffic just by writing this post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I will be writing about it on my blog and drive traffic that way and I'm also going to use...

...Affiliates
I'll try getting members of this forum to drive traffic by offering a 0.5% share of the sites lifetime profit for each paying advertiser someone can refer. So if you can get an advertiser to the site I will pay monthly or quarterly (depending on the sites success) to you. (by paypal, neteller, or through party, stars, etc). If you have a site yourself then referring yourself would be ok.
If you can't refer anyone just mentioning the site on a blog,etc is a great way to help me. I would return the favor by linking to your blog from mine.

Feedback
I want as much feedback as possible. What do you think of the idea. What would work better. Changes to layout/text. Tips on marketing the idea. Spelling/grammar errors (I'm swedish you know). Anything you can think of really that might be useful.

Logbook
I will write and update on my blog about my progress with the site and I can probably crosspost those updates in this post.

So, that's it, let me know what you think.