Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: A3s, okay play?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I usually muck these hands, but my VPIP of 15.5 is too low IMO, and I'm trying to open up my game. Is this simply too marginal?

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding is certainly better than just calling here, that is for sure. But seriously dude, this is a standard raise here preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of those situations which may be unconfortable for a lot of new folks. When get called by CO or button, and one or both blinds we must proceed with caution. The post-flop play will depend on the usual factors (opposition, board texture, pot, etc). Nevertheless playing these hands is a good learning experience. I have played a lot of short-handed now, but I am still uncomfortable with these situations!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chase out a Ax to improve you chances of winning if you hit an A, and it gets money from the other 2 players on the turn since they would likely fold to a bet on the river if you hit your flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with betting the turn. Who says your opponents will fold to a turn bet if you hit your flush? BB probably isn't ... it looks like he has at least a pair.

Besides, that only works if you hit your flush. It's not worth spending 1 BB because 80% of the time you miss your flush. 20% of the time you get your flush and you may (at best) get 2 BB (that you might have gotten anyway with a bet on the river). Betting the turn can not possibly be +EV because of your flush draw.

On the other hand, buying an Ace out might possibly be +EV but I somehow doubt it. The pot is only 7.75 BB and it'd cost 1 BB to do it.

I don't think the chances that somebody has a better Ace and they will fold the better Ace, and the Ace will come on the river are better than 1 in 7.75.

All that combined with the chance of being forced to call a check-raise because of your all your outs I think makes this a clear turn check.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop raise is standard??? I stop stealing at A7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open-raising A3s may have become standard advice in this forum, but that doesn't mean it's standard or correct in an absolute sense (however you define those terms).

IMO, unless you have some spectacular reads, A3s should be treated like a drawing hand looking for multi-way or heads-up action.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
preflop raise is standard??? I stop stealing at A7s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open-raising A3s may have become standard advice in this forum, but that doesn't mean it's standard or correct in an absolute sense (however you define those terms).

IMO, unless you have some spectacular reads, A3s should be treated like a drawing hand looking for multi-way or heads-up action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking for heads-up action is precisely why you need to raise this hand if you're coming into the pot first.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I can see that argument, but there are three people left to act. Maybe it's a mistake, but when I raise from the CO, I generally assume that I'll get two callers. (I don't have PT at work, so I can't check to see how full of it I am.)
Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I can see that argument, but there are three people left to act. Maybe it's a mistake, but when I raise from the CO, I generally assume that I'll get two callers. (I don't have PT at work, so I can't check to see how full of it I am.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it all depends where you play, or even the table you're on right now. For example, I've played a lot of tables at AP where I expect to get a max of 1 caller when raising out of the CO.

There are times I open-limp weak suited aces on the button: when the blinds are so loose they will call a raise with any two and they are terrible post flop. It's kind of a delayed blind steal, you'll usually pick up their blinds if they don't hit the flop. I think there's something in HEPFAP about this. This is the exception for me, not the norm.