Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Re: \"Don\'t answer that phone, sir!\"

Bottom line: using a cell phone while transacting any piece of social business with other humans, including a hand of poker, is a sign that someone maybe shouldn't be transacting social business with humans.

No matter where and when they're using their cell phone, to a man - to a frickin' man - they will tell you they're hurting no one, and "mind your own business."

Well, wasting my time makes it my business, and if I could get a law passed allowing me to kick them in the nuts, I'd do it in a second.

The cell phone is not an inalienable right. It's a privilege. Treat it as such.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This statement is, of course, utterly false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name another offense that results in a dead hand? Here are a few that do not result in a dead hand: punching another player, throwing hot coffee at the dealer, urinating on the dealer, and throwing racks at the dealer. By making it a dead hand you have placed the penalty for answering the cell phone worse than those.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zero-tolerance policies suck. A far better solution is to allow the player to finish the hand, then deal the player out. If you really hate cell phones, then pick people up if they routinely answer their phones in the middle of a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the standard way of doing it. I have never seen a competant manager/superviosr advocate killing hands in a cash game for being on the phone. I have no problem with treating a player in a tournament as away from the table if he is on the phone when the cards are dealt.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This statement is, of course, utterly false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name another offense that results in a dead hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

- Exposing them in certain rooms/situations

- Talking about them "" ""

- Not acting in time after the clock is called

- Being away from the table when the action's on you

...should I go on?

Edit: Of course, I expect nits to be picked, so go ahead...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Exposing them in certain rooms/situations

- Talking about them "" ""

[/ QUOTE ]

Certain rooms being the ones the ones managed by people that are new to poker.

[ QUOTE ]
- Not acting in time after the clock is called

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if facing a bet. This is not a penalty/infraction. If a reasonable amount of time has paassed an action will be netered for you (if it is checked to you your hand is checked for failing to act before the clock expires). I have never seen a hand killed for this other than a player decided to let the clock run out rather than act because he is stalling or is upset with the person that asked for it.

Maybe I should ask a differnt question, can you name a single situation where a player is attmepting to play an active role in the hand where there hand is dead for their misconduct?

What is so bad about using a cell phone that makes the penalty for using it worse than assaulting players and staff?

Fortunatly I have never encountered this rule in a live game. The only places Ihave heard of using it are places that are known for being poorly managed. I'm not going to list them here, but as a general rule as you fo west and south poker rooms have better management.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:55 AM

Nits nicely picked. Good job.

Funny thing is the "why, why, why," which just starts to sound like crying after a while.

Get over it. Cell phone use is a choice and a privilege. If you can't control your answering finger, turn it the [censored] off when you get into the room.

Edit: The "assaulting staff" argument is ridiculous and obviously based on empirical evidence. "One night I saw this happen and he didn't get his hand folded!!"

Edit 2: I'll give you an answer anyway:

- Assaulting staff is something 99% of players don't and won't do, regardness of how light the penalties are perceived to be.

- Cell phone use is something 99% of cell-phone using players WILL do if they know there's no penalty. Hell, I might do it sometime.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it easy enough to turn the phone to vibrate, finish the hand, look to see who called, and call them back?

[/ QUOTE ]Perfect solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
I vote for this answer.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:37 AM

<font color="blue">My question to you: If there's a single player who might be getting fed information about the other players' hole cards (or advice on how to play a hand) via wireless transmission, whom do you think is the most likely suspect? </font>

Neither... While you guys are focusing on the obviously suspicious activity of the old man answering his phone (cuz it rang), and the dude chilling out to tunes in seat1, the old lady in the 3 seat is in kahootz with the guy sweating #7. If you look carefully you can probably spot the wires hanging out of her stockings. And that white hair? It's a wig fool! Next time rip it off her head and expose her for what she really is... ~gasp~ A man!

After you've satisfied your paranoia, settle down and play some cards.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny thing is the "why, why, why," which just starts to sound like crying after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no why. This is why professionally managed rooms don't kill hands for talking on the phone. Procedures and made with a reason.

[ QUOTE ]
- Cell phone use is something 99% of cell-phone using players WILL do if they know there's no penalty. Hell, I might do it sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

In professionally managed rooms their is a penalty, they are dealt out of the next hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: The "assaulting staff" argument is ridiculous and obviously based on empirical evidence. "One night I saw this happen and he didn't get his hand folded!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had players removed for assaulting the staff, it never occurred ot me to steal money form the on the way out.

[ QUOTE ]
Get over it. Cell phone use is a choice and a privilege. If you can't control your answering finger, turn it the [censored] off when you get into the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately I live within a short drive of the majority of the poker tables in the US. For the most part they are able to find people that have worked in poker before so they don't have pointless rules (at least not this one).
Old 08-04-2006, 03:46 AM

Randy,

Do you think the penalties for urinating on dealers, throwing racks across the room, etc, are appropriate as is? I can't imagine someone pissing on my leg prompting a "Play out your hand and then please leave, sir" response.

Just because the penalties for violence, etc, are out of whack doesn't mean we should similarly make all penalties out of whack.