Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Acoustic singer/songwriter music

Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue album
Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 AM

I love acoustic music, but unfortunately lately it has been the doorway to turning great performers into teen idols. This breeds music made for preteen girls, which is terrible. I'll give some obvious examples:

Howie Day- He used to be amazing. I saw him live before Australia came out, and the talent he has for using his guitar with about 30 peddles that surround him is incredible. His lyrics were earnest, and his melodies more mature. Fast forward to today and Stop All The World Now. He writes love songs for little girls.

John Mayer- I know his name is now synonimous with "chick music", but a few years back when he performed in mainly bars and colleges, he was amazing. Very proficient at his instrument and has a great talent for mimicry (whether it be Dave Matthews or SRV). But his songs used to be about more than daughters and fathers. If you can, find songs by him called Man on the Side and another called Why Did You Mess With Forever. Both awesome Singer/Songwriter tunes. Even his second album Room For Squares (the one that made him famous) still has some great tunes on it (see:Neon, St. Patrick's Day). Fast forward to Heavier Things. Teenage girls swoon at the mention of his name, and his music relfects his new demographic. Although he has been on the road with the John Mayer Trio lately and making some decent blues/jazz stuff.

Dashboard Confessional- I don't like Emo very much, but Swiss Army Romance and Places You Have Come To Fear The Most are two of the best acoustic albums I have heard in a long time. Extremely honest, everyday lyrics about things that we, the listeners, have been through a thousand times. His live shows were always great experiences, and encouraged crowd participation. Fast Forward to today and A Mark A Mission A Brand A Scar. The teenage female audience got a hold of him, and his music is welcome on the likes of TRL and Nick Jr.

I can go on and on about awesome artists that get ruined by the record companies finding them and gearing them towards the most impressionable, and profitable audience. It will continue to happen with a lot of the artists mentioned in this thread.

My current recommendation is Ben Taylor. Son of James Taylor and Carly Simon, his genes alone force him to be a wonderous musician and singer. Go out and get his first album, Famous Among The Barns. You won't regret it.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:11 AM

An absolutely amazing album that fits in this category- "Whatever Mortal" by Papa M. Every friend who I have put on to this album has absolutely loved it. Papa M is David Pajo, a former member of Slint, Tortoise, and a sometimes collaborator with Bonnie "Prince" Billy. Seriously, if I can convince one person of something they need to do today, buy "Whatever Mortal"
Old 08-17-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damien Rice - A great artist from Ireland. His debut album 'O' is IMO one of the top 5 albums ever. I've been waiting for a new album for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked out B-sides? There's some great songs on it. Try "Lonelily" and "The Professor & La Fille Danse."
Old 08-17-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damien Rice - A great artist from Ireland. His debut album 'O' is IMO one of the top 5 albums ever. I've been waiting for a new album for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked out B-sides? There's some great songs on it. Try "Lonelily" and "The Professor & La Fille Danse."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that, and I also have the Woman Like A Man EP. I think the only thing I don't have is the Unplayed Piano single.

I agree that B-Sides has some good songs on it (like Lonelily), but overall it lacks consistency and longevity and that makes it hard for me to listen to it for long periods of time. 'O' on the other hand is superbly fantastical and perfect and I could listen to it always and forever.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Thought I'd add some of my thoughts on a couple of the artist others have posted in this thread.

Andrew Bird - I wouldn't lump him in the same category as most of the other artists in this thread, but thought I'd still mention him here because from what I've heard (The Mysterious Production of Eggs album) he's excellent. The whole album is extremely good and definitely worth checking out.

Rob Sharples - How can this guy be so good? I've only heard the four songs that are available on his myspace page but I already love this guy. I can't wait to get my hands on an EP or album of his.

Alexi Murdoch - Knowing nothing about him other than his song Orange Sky I was positively surprised when I bought his album. There are a few weak spots on it but I'd call it a solid 3.5 out of 5.

Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams is also a bit different from some of the other artists but worthy of an honorary mention. I think his best work can be found on the Love Is Hell EPs.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM

Some of my favs: (You might hear a few electrics in here)

Matthew Ryan
Josh Ritter
Califone
Will Johnson/South San Gabriel
Jay Bennett
Tim Easton
Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters/Mark Kozelek
Gillian Welch
Frog Holler
David Rovics (very political)
Damien Jurado
Anders Parker
Son Volt/Jay Farrar/Uncle Tupelo
Old 08-24-2006, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Rob Sharples - How can this guy be so good? I've only heard the four songs that are available on his myspace page but I already love this guy. I can't wait to get my hands on an EP or album of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

not bad, not bad at all
Old 08-24-2006, 06:45 AM

He's gotten a few mentions, but I really like Jack Johnson. I think the Curious George soundtrack is fun.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I'm a bit worried now to be honest. They updated the songs on his myspace page with new recordings of the same songs. It's probably just that I've grown accustomed to listening to the demo versions previously posted, but these new versions sound a bit too overproduced for my taste. Some of the backing vocals and string parts are a bit excessive.