Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Simple AQ hand

I'm wondering about this:

Flop call = good. Let's him overextend himself with worse hands.

Turn call = ???. OK, he's went pretty far with a 7 or TT or whatever. Maybe a raise here and lets gets some more value from QJ or QT (or KQ, which was my flop idea, until the turn K came)

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus this is a pretty weirdly played weak king. Why does he lead into the pf raiser with air, then bet only 1/3 pot when he actually hits his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because before, villian was trying to push you off the hand but now has something. Its a really weird phenomenon. They understand they have a bluff, so they play it fast, like a bluff. Then they understand they have a weak made hand, so the slow down and play it like a weak made hand, ignoring the action and what their lines and bets represent.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering about this:

Flop call = good. Let's him overextend himself with worse hands.

Turn call = ???. OK, he's went pretty far with a 7 or TT or whatever. Maybe a raise here and lets gets some more value from QJ or QT (or KQ, which was my flop idea, until the turn K came)

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't played NL $100 in a little while, but at the NL $25 type games, I find a small BS bet in that situation to mean villian has a weak hand/air or he has a huge hand. In both cases, CALL is the correct move. Raising will cause him to fold his bluff/weak hand, and raising will [censored] you over and not let you draw out on the river if you need to.

Now, villian checks river... very high chance he has a weak queen here, and is no longer happy about his hand. A big hand would bet out here IMO. Therefore, a value bet on the river seems right.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM

SSNL is all about value betting. If you check behind on this river your game is simply bad. You MUST value bet here. There is no such thing as a "big enough pot" with a certain hand. Sometimes the situation calls for a small pot and other times the situation calls for a big pot. In this situation you are ahead 95% of the time and have the opportunity to put more money in the pot. Failing to do so is a large error.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM

pop the river $20-25, he'll call with a ton of hands you beat. even if he doesn't call you build image
Old 07-26-2006, 03:14 PM

With no reads, if I call the flop, I'm raising the turn. I think TPTK in postion on a dry board deserves a little more than call, call, check. I dont understand the weak play recomended. People do bet and call down with worse than TPTK guys...
Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With no reads, if I call the flop, I'm raising the turn. I think TPTK in postion on a dry board deserves a little more than call, call, check.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is the turn was a king and raising the turn overrepresents your hand and makes it very difficult to extract value out of weaker hands (QTo, 99, etc.). He's telegraphed by his 1/3-pot turn bet that he has one of these weak hands and we want to get some more value out of it. If we had air here, it would be a good time to raise. With this hand, calling and value betting (or value raising if he bet $8 again) on the river looks like the better option.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Looks ok to me.

Check the river. You're probably ahead, but if the K on the turn didn't help villain, then it scared him. Just check and see if your read on the flop and turn were right.

I'm not fond of raising on the flop. He's betting a little less on the flop than I'd have cb'ed, but if I'm ahead, then he's not putting much more in the pot, and if I'm behind, then I don't want to put more in the pot.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With no reads, if I call the flop, I'm raising the turn. I think TPTK in postion on a dry board deserves a little more than call, call, check. I dont understand the weak play recomended. People do bet and call down with worse than TPTK guys...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not TPTK anymore, now it's second pair. The only thing we beat that he fires again on the turn is a lower Q or a middle pocket pair and I really don't think a Q or a low pair bets the turn.

Typically I agree that a value bet on the river is a good money-making play, but this guy bet twice at us after we raised PF. I don't think he's calling a river bet unless he has us beat or happens to have QJ, so I don't see the value in betting this particular hand. We raised PF, there's a K and a Q out there, yet he bet twice post. That scares me.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SSNL is all about value betting. If you check behind on this river your game is simply bad. You MUST value bet here. There is no such thing as a "big enough pot" with a certain hand. Sometimes the situation calls for a small pot and other times the situation calls for a big pot. In this situation you are ahead 95% of the time and have the opportunity to put more money in the pot. Failing to do so is a large error.

[/ QUOTE ]

end of thread.