Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 AM

Default Re: A Different Sort of Trip Report. (I Think?) Long

[ QUOTE ]
Do you teach an online corse and where can I sign up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fell fortunate that I'm always able to visit John on my trips back to the East Coast to see friends and family.

A few years ago we decided to meet up at the college where he teaches. He had to teach a writing/composition class until 3:00pm so I thought it would be sort of fun to drive up a bit early and sit in and see John in action for the first time. Other than John telling one student in particular to ignore the weird guy crammed in a tiny desk in the back of the room I guess it was OK.

Usually these sort of classes are the sort that feature bored, uninterested students and apathetic teaching (or perhaps I was the one who was apathetic in my early days). But John had the class (and me) enthralled; it was a class I'll never forget.

John has found his calling.

~ Rick

PS From Rate My Professor dot com:

"i didnt get a good impression from him at firts however he turned out to be a nice guy. Is extremly willing to give extra help. Its really hard to fail if u go and do the work. He always smells like cigars and always wears black"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2006, 02:00 AM

Good luck, John. I'm sorry for your loss, and happy you met up with an old friend and had that go so well. Sometimes the years make people still like each other, but too far from where they were to hold much interest for each other, and the loss can seem a little sad. It's great that you were still able to be friends and rekindle the spark, though perhaps in a different way.

Do you think you and Joan will visit each other again any time soon? She sounds like such a pleasure to be with for you, maybe it would be nice if on the next vacation, you were her host and gave her a breath of fresh air and a companionable change of scenery like she gave you. It sounds like it would be nice for both of you if you kept the friendship alive.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 AM

John,

I'm so sorry for your loss. After being married half my life now, I can't imagine it.

Though I've lived in the midwest all my life, we have relatives in W.V so we went often when I was young. Most recently I took my teenage son back to "almost heaven" last fall.

After numerous travel mishaps, we made up for it by renting a convertible for the drive into the mountains. Even though it was cold, we drove for a while with the top down and the heat up full blast. It may be the only time he sees Mom doing 80 with the wind whippping her hair all over.

It sounds as if you and Joan had a wonderful time together. I'm so glad you could be there for each other. Thank you for sharing your trip report with us. For a minute I could see the mist on the mountains again.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:08 AM

Beautiful story. Why I lurk 2+2.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Of course I've invited Joan to spend some time with me, but we all know how circumstances change. Fortunately, we're both college teachers, so we do have quite a bit of time off.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Katy, I would like to see Joan again--very much so. Thanks for asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

John Cole I'm so glad you said that. I would not wish for you to be lonely. Life is so unpredictable. Be willing to take some chances and open your heart. There are so many cool people out there.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 PM

I am touched that you are willing to share this piece of your life with us. It was perfectly done and I can not imagine anyone reading this and not fervently hoping that you find some source of renewed joy in your life. I'm closing in on my fifties myself and I can barely permit myself to imagine the pain of your loss. I hope your journey gets easier.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:02 PM

I spent a good deal of time visiting WV in my youger years. Beautiful place. Touching post and my condolences as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:17 PM

very nice story, John. While I feel bad your wife is no longer with you, I can't help but also feel a little jealous that you were able to be married to a woman you obviously loved so much for eighteen years. While I know you probably don't feel it now, you are extremely lucky to have had that in your life. I know I wish I could share my life with someone I love.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you're still grabbing life by the horns and continuing on. I hope you see your friend again real soon.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 AM

Dom,

Thank you for the kind words.

I know how lucky I have been and am still. I have children who care about me, a wonderful family, and many dear friends and colleagues who care about me. I even have a friend in WV who was willing to reach out to me across the years. I have been blessed and continue to be.

John