Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 04:58 AM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff.

disclaimer: Im really gone right now.

The more I read this post, the more I think of the movie fight club. You are the poster child for what the movie is trying to convey in my mother [censored] humble opinion. Ive been there, Im sure as a bunch of douche bag white kids who make just enough money to be able to throw around, but not enough in general, who are on this forum, havve been there. It sucks, you need to do something that will change things up, get rid of all the negative [censored], do something stupid, exciting, something that will get your balls to drop a little. The doldrums of life will get to you. Being stable, making just enough, but not enough, sucks. The workplace is passive aggressive, some of us just can not take it, if you got paid 6 figs a year, you could probably suck it up (MAYBE). Sad part is, in your situation, even if they double your salary, you arent going to be much happier, you will just have a little extra to put into a savings account. [censored] that. Work your [censored] job, in the meantime find something you have passion about, then: MOTHER [censored] QUIT YOUR JOB, TAKE A GODDAMN CHANCE AND DO IT.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:33 AM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

[ QUOTE ]
Just say "[censored] it", jump on a plane to Thailand or the Philippines, and sit on the beach for a couple of weeks. Those Thai girls will make you forget all about that cheating whore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
leaving chicago for atl and school was the biggest mistake ive ever made, suck it up for a year and go to one of the many good law schools in the the chi next fall...

[/ QUOTE ]

!!!!!!!!!!!!

U of Chi (hometown and alma mater) law is a fine school. Two good friends graduated from there recently.
Defintely make the move to GA though, if only for the year while you look for places to transfer. Plus, you'll have something else to occupy your time while the year goes by.
More advice to follow when i read the replies.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lawyer and I can tell you straight: if you are not 100% positive you want to be a lawyer, law school is the last place you should be.

The first year of law school is very difficult--as difficult as any year in American academia. Not only that, but it is very important in terms of your first job out of law school. If you aren't ready to take it on full throttle, it will be exceedingly difficult for you to do well.

Plus, you can always defer for a year and make sure it's really what you want to do. I would suggest doing that. Sure, you'll get some puzzled looks and questions from friends and family, but just tell them you weren't ready to make such a big change. They'll understand.

About the girl... sorry to hear that. But just remember, girlfriend is not the same as wife. She shouldn't have deceived you, of course, but it's not adultery. It's not the end of the world. You can still date her and other people too--it doesn't have to be exclusive. It can be whatever you want. If you're not ready to end the relationship, it doesn't have to end. But if you can't get past the deception and/or the fact that she slept with someone else, then that's fine too.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm changing my answer to what the quoted said; I didn't take into acccount just how unsure you were about going to law school. THE FIRST YEAR IS VERY IMPORTANT. This is exactly what my friends have told me (two others besides the two from U of C).
I also agree with the advice about your ex. Try to patch things up with her. That doesnt mean get back together at all. It simply means get a feel and understanding about what happened, moreso that it doesn't happen again.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:19 AM

I spent the better part of 6 years at Mercer in Macon.

It's a great law school, but Macon is not a fun town to be depressed in. So be careful or it just may get worse.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:48 PM

I'm not going to jump on the "you're an Alchoholic" wagon, but please do keep in mind that this sort of situation is exactly how a lot of alcholics get started.

One thing you might consider is getting to a doctor and getting an anti-depressant. That is a lot of crap to have happen all at once, and a short term prescription might help you level things out.

The only advice I have on law school is from my brother in law who just passed his bar. "If its not the most important thing in your life, don't waste your time." He also has said on several occasions that he wishes he had picked a less competative school because it seems like being in the top of his class at a smaller school would have gotten him a job faster than being average at a larger more competative school.

I have no opinion on that, I'm just repeating his statements.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:09 PM

Just a couple of thoughts:

- No matter what you decide, realize that you only will become happy by improving yourself. Your girlfriend could be off banging the entire offensive line of the Chicago Bears, and you really wouldn't care if you are where you want to be in life.

- I personally was about to attend law school, but decided not to because my heart wasn't in it. I'll be starting a part-time MBA program next month, and feel it was a much better decision. With a law degree, you're pretty much guaranteed to make major bank, but that's not worth much if you hate it. The intellectual property law I was working with was so damn dry I wanted to shoot myself. I figure I'll do just fine w/ an MBA, even if it isn't as much.

- Stay close with your friends and maintain contact even if you decide to move. These are the people that help me keep sane in life. A recent girl cheated on me (fortunately only was seeing her a few months), and any time I was down I just went out with the people I love to death and enjoyed life.

In general, I can't tell you if law is right for you. I'd suggest shadowing an attorney for a day/week, and get a better feel for the work.

No matter what you decide - promise yourself that you're gonna get out there and kick some ass.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: I have no idea what to do here...kind of long...end of rope stuff...

Forget all the AA advice, quit your job, move West and South away from Chicago, do not go to Law school or any other school for that matter (your initial decision to get a polisci degree shows your decision making skills are lacking in the first place).

A 33K job can be had anywhere in the US since you are a college grad no matter your degree. I suggest you move to Vegas, apply for a job as a daytime security guard at an apartment complex and play poker at night. Eventually you will be a fulltime poker player, find a new girlfriend, be taking meth instead of drunking and be much better off without that cheating whore you used to call your GF.

Good luck,

Jimbo

PS: I have ben drinking myself tonight so if any of the above sounds like poor advice then do something else. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eventually you will be a fulltime poker player, find a new girlfriend, be taking meth instead of drunking and be much better off without that cheating whore you used to call your GF.

PS: I have ben drinking myself tonight so if any of the above sounds like poor advice then do something else. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really can't find the hole in your argument, maybe someone else can.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:28 AM

Other than my typing errors how was my advice? lol

Jimbo