Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: If i have anything to offer this forum, this may be it.

Wow... much has changed since I left the online poker world! Thanks very much for the pointer to a new favorite thread.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:09 AM

The games are absolutely fantastic online. I still don't understand why people are saying this.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The games are absolutely fantastic online. I still don't understand why people are saying this.

[/ QUOTE ]

the point of this post is not that the games online are not good right now. for small stakes players wanting to get better and move up in limits, game selection becomes increasingly important to help buffer the "edge" you may lose against better competition or simply to increase your winrate overall. that said, i don't think that you can really argue that most live games are usually much softer than the relative limits online.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 AM

One thing I'd like to point out. Table selection is especially important if you're a marginal winner. For a decent player, the difference between tabling selecting and not doing so could be the difference between a 2 BB/100 and a 1 BB/100 winrate (I'm just making these numbers up to make a point), but for a marginal winner, it could be the difference between 0.5 BB/100 and -0.5 BB/100. At least for the first guy, he's still gaining something for his playing time. For the second guy, it actually becomes more worthwhile to sit on his ass not playing than playing without table selecting.

As for methods for table selecting, this is how I do it. I open up a bunch of tables, starting from the highest average pots, join the waitlists, and wait for stats to appear. As seats start to open, I see if I'm at a fishy table, and if I have a decent seat, I take it. Otherwise, I close that table and open a new one and get in line. This is not to say that higher average pot = fishier, but it's better than nothing when first opening up tables. I need to see the players at a table before I sit down. Also, like someone mentioned, position on the fish is important, but it's not like a table with 3 fishies spread out isn't profitable, even if you don't have direct position on any one of them.

Also, keep in mind that there's different levels of fishiness. A 30 VPIP is fishy IMO, but a 50 VPIP is on a different level, and of course a 70 VPIP is just straight out ridiculous. For the PokerAce users, don't think that just because one guy is the same color as another, that they play about the same. There's also postflop skill to take into account, but at stakes where there's such a large player pool, preflop stats may be all you have to work with.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 PM

I played a hand with a guy last night, he opened utg--he's a 22/16 type, this is a 6max game-- a total fish cold-calls and three bet TT otb.

Flop is J72, they check, I bet, utg *tag* calls, turn is a 9, check-bet-call, river is another 7, I bet he calls and shows 98o.

He's now a buddy. Know your players.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Know your players.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely. game selection is optimizing player selection, seat selection, stakes selection, and even structure or game type selection. it is the culmination of optimizing these variables to suit your current situation in the most profitable way possible. not practicing good game selection is like leaving money on the table. it may not make a player good, but it can make him(and his winrate)look proportionately better.