Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Extra Innings

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And don't they work FOR the White Sox? If so, who cares if they are biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope White Sox fans. Wouldn't they want their announcers to have some level of credibility? How you can take anything they say seriously when they are basically cheerleaders?

[/ QUOTE ]

With a grain of salt?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way Seanez doesn't lose this game.

[/ QUOTE ]
That one was easy to foresee. I'm surprised Tavarez lasted as long as he did. Man, we blew so many chances that game.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Hawk's brutal. However, Steve Stone is the best MLB color man by a wide margin and has been for quite some time.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm watching the Red Sox vs. the White Sox (in the 15th inning right now), and they are showing fans sleeping, and many of them have left. My question:

Would it be better to just leave games as ties at some point?

(I think I am the only american who likes ties. I would have ties in football, and hockey (both with no overtime), but I'm not sure about baseball).

Obviously, I'm only talking about the regular season.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no no! The games need an outcome. But I do agree that Major League baseball needs to do something for overtime games. It would be much better to do it like they do it in Soccer. Like something similar to deciding the World Cup on penalty kicks.

So they should have 2 extra innings max. Then if it's still tied, each team picks 5 players and 1 batting practice pitcher and they have a home run derby. Each batter gets 1 swing and the team with the most homers wins it.

This system should also be used in the World Series since the games are so late in the year, it's way too cold to play a long extra inning game. I'm sure baseball fans wouldn't mind the World Championship being decided this way. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Holy [censored], that's HILARIOUS! No one's ever made that joke before. Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. You took the overtime procedure for soccer and you translated it to baseball! WOW. That is really funny. Kudos to you, Toro, and your comic genius.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], that's HILARIOUS! No one's ever made that joke before. Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. You took the overtime procedure for soccer and you translated it to baseball! WOW. That is really funny. Kudos to you, Toro, and your comic genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's joking?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Even better idea: to end ties in baseball and american football, do what they do in soccer, penalty kicks. No, not the equivalent of penalty kicks (HR derby, extra points), actually have penalty kicks. Each team nominates a GK and 5 kickers. If it's good enough for the World Cup, it should be good enough for baseball and football.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even better idea: to end ties in baseball and american football, do what they do in soccer, penalty kicks. No, not the equivalent of penalty kicks (HR derby, extra points), actually have penalty kicks. Each team nominates a GK and 5 kickers. If it's good enough for the World Cup, it should be good enough for baseball and football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I like it but I bet Nomar would.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GEEK!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, college football already decides tie games with the football equivalent of PKs.