Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: MMORPG\'s - Help me start to get into one

no, a girl who played the game died in real life. many of her online friends that played with her often set up the in game funeral for her.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, if you've been there before, why would you want to go back into MMORPG world? Stick with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work full-time so I only really have 3-4 hours a night to do things anyways and I spend most of that getting high and watching TV, so I don't really see the difference in getting high and playing Everquest instead. Plus, I learned my lesson on overplaying video games when I played 56 seasons of NCAA Football '04 in just under 4 months...I played 8-10 hours a day and used to keep my PS2 in my car in case I was somewhere with a TV.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
used to keep my PS2 in my car in case I was somewhere with a TV

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh
Old 07-07-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, a girl who played the game died in real life. many of her online friends that played with her often set up the in game funeral for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? thats so weird. and then these guys come and kill everyone? thats lame as hell. video is funny though.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Pay: WOW, though it could be growing out of style soon
Non-pay: Hero Online
Old 07-07-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? thats so weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never heard of this? Happens alot in these games. Often game masters help out etc to make sure things go smoothly/make it more "real"
Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The should of mentioned this in the video, it makes them 'crashing' it even funnier. Not that the girl dies in real life, but the level of seriuosness of those involved in the funeral just to have it screwed up by a group of players.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 PM

I currently play FFXI and a tiny bit of WoW. I played DAoC for 3 years. For pretty much the last 5 years I have played MMO's for an average of at least 3 hours a day.

WoW is great for the super-casual gamer who will take 1 year to get to 60. It pretty much plays like a single player game in the sense that you can accomplish 99% of activities, including leveling, solo. However, if you play enough that you spend a lot of time at 60 it ends up being rather...lame and repetitive. You either raid the same dungeons over and over and over and over again, on a schedule (like work!), or you sit in town and twiddle your thumbs because Blizzard hasn't developed non-raid content in the last 18 months.

FFXI is pretty hardcore and more traditional. You level by grouping with players and killing monsters over and over. Important quests all require full groups of people at the appropriate level, or you need to have a higher lvl person help you. Itemization is wierd, because there are low level items that are better than very high level items so they cost a ton of money. The interface is designed for the Playstation (or now the XBOX 360) so it's best to play with a controller. The death penalty is harsh and you can't solo most classes past the low levels. There is no PvP. S-E has shoddy business practices. Why do I play it then? I find that the game has a very unique and interesting atmosphere. I get a greater sense of accomplishment from leveling/questing. I like playing with a controller. It's vastly more social. Things you do before the level cap actually matter, so you don't race to 60 in crappy gear like in WoW. The crafting system is awesome, especially fishing and chocobo digging. The world is HUGE.

DAoC was awesome. I loved it. There was a great endgame, had a good community, there was no huge item imbalance like in WoW, and PvP was lots of fun at all levels. The problem is it's old. After 3 years of something you just have to move on. I'm hoping Warhammer Online is basically DAoC 2.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? thats so weird. and then these guys come and kill everyone? thats lame as hell. video is funny though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What had happened is that a respected member of a guild had died in real life. The guild master got in contact with the parents of the player and asked if they could hold a "funeral" in the game to honor their friend. I had not heard whether it was intentional or not but a rival guild crashed the funeral.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM

You can have a 1v1 scrimmage match at your guild hall. You could also hire henchmen for the match so it's 1v1 with up to 4 NPC's on each side as well. Dueling isn't a big part of the game though.