Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: So which is it?
Too stupid to remember 1 16.67%
Lying flip flopper 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Life or Death

[ QUOTE ]

Fear exists in the present. I notice nobody has answered my question about the gun to the head. I always imagined that humans had an inherent biological fear of death related to the survival instinct. I think many of the people claiming they don't fear death are just grandstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really replying to that post of yours. I am not sure about 99%, but the majority is theist. They are afraid, imo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2006, 02:21 PM

I think most people who chose Life (me included) did so because their life sucks really bad. I'm mostly apathetic about the concept of death vs. life when thinking about it abstractly. However, if I were put into a situation in which my survival was at stake, I would do what I could to survive. This instinct was biologically imprinted into all of us through millions of years of evolution so it's not like we can turn it on and off.

Also, I'm an atheist and believe it is most probable that when I die I cease to exist which is not that bad of a prospect for me. Or maybe something really cool that I don't even know about will happen.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm not criticizing those who are more afraid of life than death. In some cases I think it's 100% justified. I'm criticizing those who claim they have no fear of death, which to me is a suspicious claim.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because something can override the fear doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I think at least 99% of the population would be terrified if someone put a gun to their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mm, that depends on the odds that person weights this someone has for and against actually pulling the trigger. Personally if someone put a gun to my head just to mug me, I'd be pretty cool, considering.

I know this guy isn't there to kill me...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Well, I mean with intent to kill. That is, fear of death.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not criticizing those who are more afraid of life than death. In some cases I think it's 100% justified. I'm criticizing those who claim they have no fear of death, which to me is a suspicious claim.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't really read the rest of the responses, but I suppose this mostly fits my feelings about it. Personally, I don't fear death at all. I don't expect there to be anything afterwards. The only aspect of death that I'm not particularly fond of is that I know people close to me will be sad. Other than that, and I don't know if you could say I "fear" that aspect, it really doesn't bother me. For a little perspective, I'm 20 years old, no children, and a good family. I have no idea how I'll feel if/when those change.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those claiming they don't fear death... If someone put a gun up to your head, you wouldn't be afraid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fear pain. Death is the release.