Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Nerdiest things you have ever done

In my first semester of college, I was taking Calculus III for honors students (this means it was the normal Calculus III material, but with more emphasis on proofs instead of computations) at 8 AM. The morning of the first midterm, I was taking my sister to school and got in a car accident. I didn't get to class until 8:45 AM. I apologized to the professor for arriving late, told him what happened and asked if I could still take the exam. He said yes, but that I had until 9:00 AM like everyone else. A few minutes before 9:00 AM I turned in my exam (and most of the class was still working) having solved every problem as well as the "challenge problem." Early that afternoon I got an email from the professor asking me to go see him. I went and saw him and he handed me an already filled out form with my name, student number, etc. to declare mathematics as my major. He told me it would be a huge error for me to not sign it and turn it in to the registrar's office. I did just that and in my second year I was taking graduate level courses.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bowl in a league-I am not sure where this would fall on a nerd meter. People seem to be divided on the nerdiness of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bowl on the ASU bowling team, I'm not that nerdy [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a Wizard (admin/developer) on a MUD during highschool and college.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

In high school i ran a multi line BBS.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM

I went to Homecoming in high school one year with a girl I met on the Internet. Not too uncommon now, but this was in like 1998.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 PM

Online text-based roleplaying games
Old 06-08-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a Wizard (admin/developer) on a MUD during highschool and college.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my first semester of college, I was taking Calculus III for honors students (this means it was the normal Calculus III material, but with more emphasis on proofs instead of computations) at 8 AM. The morning of the first midterm, I was taking my sister to school and got in a car accident. I didn't get to class until 8:45 AM. I apologized to the professor for arriving late, told him what happened and asked if I could still take the exam. He said yes, but that I had until 9:00 AM like everyone else. A few minutes before 9:00 AM I turned in my exam (and most of the class was still working) having solved every problem as well as the "challenge problem." Early that afternoon I got an email from the professor asking me to go see him. I went and saw him and he handed me an already filled out form with my name, student number, etc. to declare mathematics as my major. He told me it would be a huge error for me to not sign it and turn it in to the registrar's office. I did just that and in my second year I was taking graduate level courses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awesome story; I wish I was that excited about something school/career-related
Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes you a genius, not a nerd. Very impressive though.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I first learned how to long divide (3rd/4th grade-ish) I took a bunch of sheets of paper, stapled them together until I they combined to the length of my living room. I then wrote some digit, then a long division sign with numbers that reached to the end of the sheet, and divided the gigantic, multiple-sheet number by the first number. I stapled pieces of paper going down diagonally to do the work. I did this multiple times. By my senior year in highschool I was no longer particularly interested in math, however.

-bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do this too
Old 06-08-2006, 02:28 PM

The period when I was addicted to playing Diablo II was the Nerdiest period in my life. I would play all day and think about it non-stop when I was at school. Draw pictures of my charachters and think about what I would do for trades and stuff. I had two other friends who would play with me. There were other people who were casual players who I talked to about it every once and a while. But that game consumed my life, which is why I will never play WoW.