Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Most disturbing scene in a movie

The scene that opens Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the van.

Pasolini's Salo, which cleared out at least 90% of the audience by the end. Impossible to pick out one scene. I'm not sure I could sit through this one again, but I think it's a must see film.

The shot of the mound of human hair in Resnais' Night and Fog affects me, in some ways, much more than the more graphic footage in the film.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a ten minute single-shot rape scene in the movie Irreversible that makes every scene mentioned so far look like the care bear christmas special. Half the theater walked out when I saw it. The movie, while incredibly violent and disturbing, is actually pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rented this movie because everyone on this board has been raving about it. I wasn't all that impressed. I think the point of the whole film was simply to disturb you. Which I was, but I've seen worse depravity party hoping on a Saturday night.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM

I have read two list on here recently, one about worst on screen betting and now most disturbing moment and no one mentioned "Scum" in either of them WTF. If underage gay gang rape isn’t disturbing I don’t know what is, they don’t even grease him up first the dirty b*stards.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if this counts as disturbing... but the scene in Swingers where Mike calls the coffee shop girl like 10 times is really hard to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I agree...not the most "disturbing" but there is definatley an odd feeling there...
Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 PM

2 I'd choose are already gone; the 'hand or foot' scene in City of God, and the scourging of Jesus in Passion of the Christ.

I'd also add the whole Frank getting to the apartment the first time in Blue Velvet, that freaks me out some every time I see it, still.

And also the bit near the end of Chinatown where the old guy pulls his granddaughter away - that makes me want to punch someone.

And another that bothers me a lot, which I think is highly variable depending on how you feel by the end of the film, if the end of 'Naked' where Johnny is just walking away from it all. I can see a lot of people not being bothered by it a bit - it seems a natural conclusion to the film - but it bothers the hell out me.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Passion of the Christ", yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because it bores you to death before while also being explicitly violent.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Two that come to mind .

Requiem for a Dream. When Jared Leto's character shoots up into that gangrenous, open sore.

The Marathon Man. When Laurence Olivier's character tortures Dustin Hoffman by drilling his teeth without anaesthesia.

Is it safe?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 I'd choose are already gone; the 'hand or foot' scene in City of God,

And another that bothers me a lot, which I think is highly variable depending on how you feel by the end of the film, if the end of 'Naked' where Johnny is just walking away from it all. I can see a lot of people not being bothered by it a bit - it seems a natural conclusion to the film - but it bothers the hell out me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I def. agree with the hand or foot scene.

The end of Naked bothered me a bit... but it definately didn't suprise me at all.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 PM

Have to agree with the Saving Private Ryan's knifing scene. Possibly the most disturbing and realistic acting job, watching someones life ebb away in front of you.

Generally the more graphic scenes I do not find as disturbing as implied scenes.

Gross or scary <> disturbing (for me).
Old 06-08-2006, 01:27 AM

Bastard out of Carolina - the rape scene. I know this is the quiet zone but I really don't want to elaborate for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's disturbing.