Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Lastings Milledge

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does baseball have this culture of not showing up the other team anyways? Most other sports have celebrations, whether jumping into the stands at Lambeau, celebrating after a goal in hockey or a huge dunk in the NBA, yet if someone pumps their fist after hitting a home run they've just shown up the pitcher. It's a game, it should be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like others have stated, this wasn't Cal breaking a record or any of the examples given above...

This was the equivilent of TO busting out the sharpie...only, this guys a rook. Bad bad move and even he said so himself (at the strong suggestion of his team I'm sure).

...and yes, the response, in baseball, is the 95 mph chin music.

lol, seems (most) everyone is ready to bust out the typewriters and dish out the astricks for dissing history in the form of records, but when it comes time to respect a longlived baseball tradition such as not showing up the other team...everyone plays dumb.

It's called being bushleague. This isn't Bull Durham.

He'll be dealt with the baseball way...in time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he specifically brought all these fans with him to the game in his sock knowing he'd hit this home run so they would know to high five him. You might be being a little oversensitive here.
-James
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Who would Cano high five on his way out to 2nd base?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, now that you put it that way...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Who would Cano high five on his way out to 2nd base? Even if he did this, Mets fans would genuinely not give a [censored]. No Mets fan I know has any problem with Cano at all because he's a hardworking, good, non-overrated(for the most part) player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to say that now after you've seen him play for a year to get a judge of his character. You could not make that judgement on him 4 games into his career like this example. Swap Cano with Melky, or some rookie like Lance Niekro if the situation was reversed. You totally misunderstood my point.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Who would Cano high five on his way out to 2nd base? Even if he did this, Mets fans would genuinely not give a [censored]. No Mets fan I know has any problem with Cano at all because he's a hardworking, good, non-overrated(for the most part) player.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to say that now after you've seen him play for a year to get a judge of his character. You could not make that judgement on him 4 games into his career like this example. Swap Cano with Melky, or some rookie like Lance Niekro if the situation was reversed. You totally misunderstood my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I understand your point. I just don't think that this is a bad thing to do at all. I also have been watching Melky and he seems like a hardnosed ballplayer and a hustler as well. I think your point that "new york" fans don't like this sort of behavior is overstated and generally wrong. NYC has embraced the fan-friendly, homegrown players(jeter, bernie, wright, reyes etc) and in general it's not these types who are 'hated' by the opposing teams fans at all. It's almost exclusively the hired guns who are aloof with the media who are scorned. If you think about it for a while, you'll probably agree.
-James
Old 06-06-2006, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I first heard the uproar about this I assumed he did it like right after the homer.

Then I hear that he did it on his way out of the field and was totally confused.

Old people in baseball and most baseball media are [censored] retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on Dids
I see nothing wrong with this. He didn't show up the other team on the hit. He didn't delay the game and make a spectacle of it. He slapped hands with fans going out to his position...seems like if you hate this, you'd be against tossing out the practice balls to the fans in the nearby stands.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I first heard the uproar about this I assumed he did it like right after the homer.

Then I hear that he did it on his way out of the field and was totally confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on Dids
I see nothing wrong with this. He didn't show up the other team on the hit. He didn't delay the game and make a spectacle of it. He slapped hands with fans going out to his position...seems like if you hate this, you'd be against tossing out the practice balls to the fans in the nearby stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody, at least not me, said they 'hate' this. Choose your words better.

And...I'm not the media. I didn't plaster the story on the airwaves. I'm simply somebody with an opinion.

And my opinion is that the little punk is going to get thrown at and rightfully so.

Like it or lump it.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my opinion is that the little punk is going to get thrown at and rightfully so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong, he's not going to get thrown at. First of all because there is no good reason to throw at him. Second of all the Mets & Giants don't even play each other again this year.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on Dids

[/ QUOTE ]

And...I'm not the media. I didn't plaster the story on the airwaves. I'm simply somebody with an opinion.

And my opinion is that the little punk is going to get thrown at and rightfully so.

Like it or lump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion is you're an idiot. Like it or lump it.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on Dids

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it or lump it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it.

PS...suck my dick.