Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Re: when to move up to 2/5NL?

[ QUOTE ]
you'll have swings of no more than 2 buy ins if you're a good player

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

EAD !
Old 05-31-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

EAD !

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. This is just irresponsible advice.

You've never sat down at a table to have your nut flush all-in on the turn get rivered by his boat? Few hands later you flop 2nd set on an uncoordinated board, only to lose to top set. Next orbit, your AA all-in preflop gets cracked by KJ offsuit because he "Thought you were on tilt"?

3 buyins. Fast. Throw in a few more flips and beats, and it's easy to be stuck 5 buyins at the softest table in the western hemisphere.

Maybe a REALLY skilled player knows which cards are coming, but a schlub like me just has to take his chances, and get his chips in in +ev situations.

BTW, your EAD response was very helpful.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM

I'm ignoring most of the stuff in this thread, since it seems the discussion has degenerated into dick waving and HU freezeout challenges. Lame.

The 2/5 at Borgata is significantly tougher than the 1/2. There are definite exceptions to this statement (weekends, some weekday nights), but the foot traffic through the game is significantly less than the 1-2, thus the amount of dead money going in is significantly less. The 2-5 game is considerably more aggressive than the 1-2, and more of the players are "qualified regulars" -- meaning that they're not just there constantly, but they're there and they can play (as opposed to "degenerate regulars" -- the guys who lose their ass constantly, but keep showing up).

Your bankroll is way too short to move permanently, or even temporarily IMO. Way too short. Hell, I think its too short for 1-2, but that's me. You might want to take a stab once at 2-5 to feel it out, and treat that buy-in as expendable, but don't reload if you get stacked. One goot alternative for you would be sticking with 1-2 most of the time, and jumping into 2-5 with a $300 buyin (the max for 1-2) when the 2-5 is going crazy on Saturday nights or whenever, then going back to 1-2 when the bigger game dries up. I do this when I'm not feeling lazy.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:27 PM

wow, why is there 4 pages on when to move up. Move up when you want to, and try not to go broke.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Good advice about perhaps taking a shot w/ a small buyin. If you triple up leave and go the $1-2, then get back on the list for $2-5 if you want and buyin short again.

I remember reading that a very good player should have at least 12 buyins (which seems low to me) and at $2-5 I'd buyin for $500. Many of the $1-2 games are easy pickings in Vegas and it's more relaxing for sure than $2-5. Without knowing your skill level, I'd say wait until you've built up perhaps $8,000-$10,000 of disposable money which you can use for your poker bankroll only.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 PM

For some time I've been alone(it seems) on my view, but I still don't see a reason for a recreational(read: non-professional) player to have 20 buy-ins before they can take a shot. Now I don't think 6 buyins is enough if the max is $500, but he doesn't have to buy in full either. Also, if you're recreational, then you must have a job. Depending on how much you get paid and the ability to replenish your roll, having a $15-20k bankroll just to play "for fun" seems a bit absurd to me.