Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Default Re: I Hate Phil. (LC)

By the way, let me know if I can give you some pointers on how to have a good May.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BadbeatPhil shows [ Ts, 4h, Qs, 6d ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this in the top 25% of O8 hands, I remember Phil ranting about 25% VPIP'ing...quite recently actually

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll happily limp any 4 if some idiot will put in 146 BB with 0% equity [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2006, 12:49 AM

I played with Phil today, I found him to be hilarious. Apparently berating the PLO8 fish just makes them lose more, while the limit holdem story/myth seems to be that it scares them away.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 AM

Well, well, well...the man himself finally arrives, fashionably late of course.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll happily limp any 4 if some idiot will put in 146 BB with 0% equity

[/ QUOTE ]
And I'll happily put in 146 BB every time I hit the nut flush, so it looks like we'll get along famously.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:02 AM

Phil, as you can see this funny little low content post of mine turned into quite an argument yesterday. Now Niss seems to believe that if I had pot raised it PF you would've folded. I think they'll be forecasting scattered showers in Hell before you would've layed it down. Can you please settle it for us?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 AM

Bruce, with pleasure.

While it's impossible to say what I will do on any given hand, it is possible to make some reasonable inferences from past situations.

Following is a list of hands I've cold called preflop since moving back to the 25s a week ago, with the obligatory results section attached (a la niss, gnu):

As you can see, the hand in question, QT64, falls into the range of hands which have previously been cold called. There are two additional factors which are relevant here:

1. I hate you
2. I love busting aces

which make is extremely likely I would have called your pot sized raise out of the small blind.

So I think the evidence clearly points to you being correct, and niss being incorrect. I hope that clears up any confusion.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 AM

Let this thread shine as a beacon of hope for all the people of the world who find themselves at odds with others:

Jews and Arabs, Democrats and Republicans, blacks and whites, Burger King and McDonalds, Yankee fans and Red Sox fans, Ford and Chevy, French people and bravery, German people and world peace, Irish people and sobriety, gay men and vagina, Bill Clinton and fidelity, George W.Bush and basic English grammar, Tupac and Biggie, crystal meth cooks and the DEA, Vader and Obi Wan.

Phil and I were able to look past our differences and come together to find some common ground......

[ QUOTE ]
I should unequivocally state that I hate the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
1. I hate you

[/ QUOTE ]
....our mutual hatred.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played with Phil today, I found him to be hilarious. Apparently berating the PLO8 fish just makes them lose more, while the limit holdem story/myth seems to be that it scares them away.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is something that I figured out a couple of years ago, too. Not with personal experience, but the experience of an online player who had a shtick about ragging bad players. I thought he was insane, why tap the glass? He even made his nickname "ibustchumps."

And then I watched. And it worked. It only made them play worse and stick around, and challenge him to HU matches while they were steaming, and eventually give him their whole bankrolls.

For whatever reason, berating fish online only draws them in deeper. Live, however, is a totally different story.

I still don't advocate this abuse, but I'm not blind. It works.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 AM

There is a big difference between berating/trash-talking bad players (good natured or otherwise) and telling them what they are doing wrong. While we can disagree as to whether berating/trash-talking is good or bad, right or wrong, we should all agree that we should not be educating the other players at the table.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM

I agree 100%. I write about this on my journal all the time, almost weekly. Yet it stops no one, not even my own husband!

[ QUOTE ]
There is a big difference between berating/trash-talking bad players (good natured or otherwise) and telling them what they are doing wrong. While we can disagree as to whether berating/trash-talking is good or bad, right or wrong, we should all agree that we should not be educating the other players at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]