Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Re: did I misplay this hand - QJs

[ QUOTE ]
Your equity: about 17%
Your share in the pot: About 16.6% if everyone calls

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I'm missing something, but this is what I've thought (please tell me where I'm wrong): There are 13BB in the pot, 17% are yours, which is a bit more than 2BB. Now if someone checkraises you and everybody else folds, you'd still have an equity egde, altough smaller. However, if some players called, your edge would increase.

I do get that my implied odds would decrease, so betting would be a bad idea anyway. I'd just like to know where my equity calculation went wrong.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your equity: about 17%
Your share in the pot: About 16.6% if everyone calls

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I'm missing something, but this is what I've thought (please tell me where I'm wrong): There are 13BB in the pot, 17% are yours, which is a bit more than 2BB. Now if someone checkraises you and everybody else folds, you'd still have an equity egde, altough smaller. However, if some players called, your edge would increase.

I do get that my implied odds would decrease, so betting would be a bad idea anyway. I'd just like to know where my equity calculation went wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the money already in the center is there for you to win whether you bet or check; therefore existing pot size is irrelevant when deciding whether to bet for value. The only question is how good your hand is compared to everyone else's.

If we were discussing folding then you look at the pot size.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:56 PM

Indeed. You should bet if you expect that will give you more BB's in the long run. If you have a hand that will be good 33% of the time you can bet as long as you have more two callers (You put one bet in, they put three bets in and you will win 33% earning 1.33 BB).

In this case you can expect to win this hand around 20% ( a little less) of the time. So to make a profit you would need more than 4 callers, otherwise it is breakeven at best (and it reduces your implied odds). Since it is unreasable to assume that you will get 5 callers when you bet, you lose money. If you get 3 callers for example, u put in 1 BB the others put in another 3BB, but you will win only 20% = 0.8BB of this back. In other words; you lose 0.2 BB and this could be worse with less callers or with a raise behind you.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 PM

looks prefect to me