Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Great Trash books

I liked the Rouge Warrior books. I remember thinking how stupid they were when I was reading them on planes when I traveled each week. Yet, I still bought every one.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:03 AM

I enjoy Patterson when he's writing about Alex Cross. The rest of his stuff blows, IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 PM

I cant believe no one has mentioned da vinci code, great book, reads really fast, and requires very little tought.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:30 PM

Denis leHanes novels are really good for summer reading.

Stuart Woods Sone Barrington and Holly Barker stuff is ok.

William Tappley's Brady Coyne's are also ok.

Lawrence Block's Scudder novels are great and for a change of pace his Burgular novels are pretty funny.

Carl Hiassan and Elmore Leonard rarley dissapoint, and Dave Barry's two mysteries were surprisingly enjoyable.

James Lee Burke's Dave Robiecheiux is also grat summer reading.

I forgot Harlan Coben and John Sanford
Old 06-07-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently I've been failing badly, after an enjoyable jaunt in to Robert Parker and the Spenser novels...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've read all of those multiple times, and they're pretty much my favorites.

Other "trash" authors I've enjoyed would include Mickey Spillane, Jack Higgins (his old stuff), Andrew Vachss and David Morrell.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diebitter,

I'm interested to know your opinion of the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. They've acheived cult status here in the States, but I understand that they're a good bit more popular in the UK. I wouldn't really describe them as trash, altough they do share a certain literary kinship with the Bond series.
KK

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashman! I'm a huge, huge Flashman fan having just recently read the first 4 books. I highly recommend these to anyone and everyonen I talk to. I really don't think they are trash. They are well researched and very clever. The subject matter is trashy, but that is the whole point. Not for the PC, by the way. Flashy is horribly racist, sexist and probalby various other -ists I haven't noticed yet.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Diebitter,

I'm interested to know your opinion of the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. They've acheived cult status here in the States, but I understand that they're a good bit more popular in the UK. I wouldn't really describe them as trash, altough they do share a certain literary kinship with the Bond series.
KK

[/ QUOTE ]

Flashman! I'm a huge, huge Flashman fan having just recently read the first 4 books. I highly recommend these to anyone and everyonen I talk to. I really don't think they are trash. They are well researched and very clever. The subject matter is trashy, but that is the whole point. Not for the PC, by the way. Flashy is horribly racist, sexist and probalby various other -ists I haven't noticed yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now have the first in this series - it arrived a few days ago. I have a couple of others to read first, but will report back here on what I thought, or indeed give it a full review if it warrants it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Since you like mysteries, how about some books in the Nero Wolfe series, by Rex Stout?

The books are short and are a quick read.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 PM

Sidney Sheldon and Irwin Shaw
Old 06-08-2006, 01:23 AM

Irwin Shaw's short stories were actually quite good. He was considered a serious writer for a lot of his career. Very readable.

Sidney Sheldon is so terrible I find him virtually unreadable, though I did get through The Other Side of Midnight. Oof, that stank. It's like every paragraph hurts to read, with that guy.