Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Default My Guess And Some Comments

First I want to make it clearer that I was seeking a number ranking for each sport. I also do not mean for this to be a "volleyball" question. In other words do not assume that men take up the sport who haven't.

Tennis- 3000. Based on what I have been told.

Golf- 2000. The fellow who said that the courses where a woman competed against men were handpicked for her STILL missed the point. There is a mathematical mistake of major magnitude going on when people point to the fact that she beat 20% of the men. I alluded to it in another thread.

100 Meters- 30,000 A guess based on the fact that many of the men who would beat her tomorrow are not presently track athletes.

Softball- 100,000. Suppose baseball players had to play softball instead. Would any woman make a minor league or college team?

Shot Put- 10,000,000. Perhaps there is a flukey exception out there. I don't want to meet her.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: My Guess And Some Comments

[ QUOTE ]

Softball- 100,000. Suppose baseball players had to play softball instead. Would any woman make a minor league or college team?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a woman that played in the independent Northern League for the St. Paul Saints (and others) named Ila Borders. She was not very good (even against the poor talent in the Northern League) and was more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ila_Borders

It's hard to compare her here though as she threw overhanded in baseball fashion.
My guess is that even the top ranked female players would be worse than even the worst professional baseballer.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: My Guess And Some Comments

[ QUOTE ]

Shot Put- 10,000,000. Perhaps there is a flukey exception out there. I don't want to meet her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think softball might be lower. Surely there are some dominant female pitchers that could outpitch most of the great baseball players who don't really know how to pitch a softball. If we're talking non-pitcher then I think even the best woman is going to be very, very bad.

As for the shotput, I have to think that's just flat wrong. Virtually no guy who has never thrown a shot put is going to beat a woman. And even the ones with experience have to beat the elite woman in the world. It may be the sport with the biggest discrepancy between men and women but the lack of participation in it and the fair amount of skill involved in doing it right keep the number down.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 1

Jennie Finch would still be the best softball pitcher if men were allowed to compete. No MLB pitcher trains their arm in this manner.

Hitting, it would not be close. The men would be substantially better and the women would need to wear protective gear at all positions to avoid death or great bodily harm.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jennie Finch would still be the best softball pitcher if men were allowed to compete. No MLB pitcher trains their arm in this manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't train "in this manner" because they don't play softball. If they were dedicated (and got paid enough) they would. LMAO, "would still be the best" So NO man would be able to pitch softball better than her?

Wait...you're just joking right?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Tennis would not be anywhere in the professional men's rankings.

This is speaking from experience, at the division I college level where I played with and against guys who went on to have successful ATP tour careers.

I have also played a great deal with some of the top women in the college game, who have played on the WTA tour, and again, the top women tennis players would not be able to enter the rankings of the men's tour on merit alone.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't train "in this manner" because they don't play softball. If they were dedicated (and got paid enough) they would. LMAO, "would still be the best" So NO man would be able to pitch softball better than her?

Wait...you're just joking right?

[/ QUOTE ]

training isn't an option for this hypothetical. they have to be good enough right now.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tennis would not be anywhere in the professional men's rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for all of these.

Golf: Look at Michelle Wie.

100M: Compare times, it's not even close.

Marathon: See above post.

Softball: Ignoring retarded arguments about specialized skills which would not exist in a unisex version, the lack of female MLBers or even any prospects, indicates that this is not possible.

Shot: Heh, this one was kind of funny.

J
Old 12-28-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hitting, it would not be close. The men would be substantially better and the women would need to wear protective gear at all positions to avoid death or great bodily harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty much defeated the first paragraph's statement by stating your second paragraph. Finch's ERA against pro baseball players' hitting would be around 284.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact that top female tennis pros train with men ranked worse than 300 and get smoked in straight sets. I would say the best woman would maybe be 400-500.

[/ QUOTE ]