Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Picking up a new game - Stud or Omaha

[ QUOTE ]
1. You play in AC & FW. You are in stud central.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, and remember no razz in AC
Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM

I've been learning stud and I love the game. My new friends, which on average are 50 years older than me, are great.

Harrah's $1-$5 is better than Bally's. No ante and Saturday nights, it's action, if there such a thing in 1-5. There are also about four games a night running. Good for stud players, bad for dealers who get toked in halves.

Don't play the 1-5 at the Taj. It's raked and timed, $1/half hour.

Trop has a 3-6 with no ante. It's a decent low limit, but doesn't run all the time. The $5-10 is OK there as well. I've never played stud at Borgata.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't play the 1-5 at the Taj. It's ante'd and timed, $1/half hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a double take about the $2 an hour drop. Amazing.

When I first started playing poker, everyone played stud hardly anyone played hold em and nobody played no limit hold em.

Fast forward 10 years now nobody plays stud, hardly anyone plays limit hold em and everyone plays no limit.

WOW
Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 PM

I meant raked and timed by the way. I editted the above post to fix it.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrah's $1-$5 is better than Bally's. No ante and Saturday nights, it's action, if there such a thing in 1-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound counter-intuitive for a beginning stud player, but if you play well a no-ante game will be the most boring form of poker ever because the pot will often be too small to play on 3rd street. There are some great posts about this in the stud forum (search for ante to bring in ratio, ante to SB ratio, pot size, etc), a fantastic section in Theory of Poker which discusses this, and if your feeling adventurous you can watch the series of videos I made for Razz strategy - the third street concepts about pot size and range of hands are exactly the same (found at Deuces Cracked, PM me for details).

Stud is an easy game when your still new to it, it becomes very mathematical and complicated as you get good - even when playing vs the low limit players, but the positive is the fantastic effect it will have on your hand reading ability and river play.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stud is an easy game when your still new to it, it becomes very mathematical and complicated as you get good - even when playing vs the low limit players, but the positive is the fantastic effect it will have on your hand reading ability and river play.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading the Theory of Poker, I considered which stud game to play. I still enjoy the Harrah's game even without the ante.

I quoted this last part because I've noticed my reads have drastically improved since I started playing stud. I've also read Roy West's low-limit stud book, which I have found to be excellent for the level I'm playing on right now.

I only recently jumped into a $5-$10 stud only to have the older folks cranky at me when I lay down aces-up to a flush or a straight. I still have a ways to go, but I like using the $1-$5 as a playing ground.

The only ante's 1-5 i know of is in Bally's and I dislike the dealers and the floor there so much, I refuse to go back. I had a dealer tell me in another language (one that I understand) to muck a hand cause I was beat in NL game. I'm all for the integrity of the game and I don't appreciate him telling me (though I knew it anyway).
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. I had a dealer tell me in another language (one that I understand) to muck a hand cause I was beat in NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which language?

Foxwoods also has a 50 cent ante for the 1-5 game, it certainlly does help get the game "off the ground".
Old 08-24-2007, 02:51 PM

albanian
Old 08-24-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. I had a dealer tell me in another language (one that I understand) to muck a hand cause I was beat in NL game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which language?

Foxwoods also has a 50 cent ante for the 1-5 game, it certainlly does help get the game "off the ground".

[/ QUOTE ]

If its a .50 ante / .50 bring in, $1 complete then the pot lays 9:1 for anyone to call (yum!), and a completion lays 6:2 to the remaining players left to act (11:1 for the bring in). Thats a serious action game, if you don't play loose then your missing expected value with this structure.... super yummy!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM

The 3/6 at Trop goes every day, with a list. It replaced the 1/5 games this spring. Trop management doesn't want to spread more than 3 stud games at a time (two 3/6, one 5/10). The 3/6 has been pretty good, the 5/10 has suffered.

Borgata won't spread a stud game below 20/40 in the new room. I've seen lists, but haven't actually seen a 1/5, 5/10, or 10/20 game there in like two years. I'm not holding my breath either.....