Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Raid on NYC clubs underway right now.

[ QUOTE ]
I was there until 9:30 and didn't see any commotion. This fits the profile of the typical NYC raid: on a Thursday night, after 10:00. I have never seen the club so full, every seat at every table was occupied and there were full 15/30 O8 and 10/20 LHE HK games running.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically didn't go play last night because of this. The combination of the robbery thread last week and the Limit King blog made this look like a sure bet. Unsurprising and sucky.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it would not be beyond the scope of reason to wonder if guiliani's camp orchestrated this specifically to distract resources from bloomberg's nascent run for pres.

[/ QUOTE ]

To 95% of the population, this does not make Bloomberg look like a worse mayor. It makes him look better to everyone who only knows about underground clubs from the slanted information carried in the press after busts and robberies. This has only to do with what happened last week.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a lot of static right now between bloomberg's peeps and guiliani's peeps.

it would not be beyond the scope of reason to wonder if guiliani's camp orchestrated this specifically to distract resources from bloomberg's nascent run for pres.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, this is ridiculous if you think its true. You have been watching the movie conspiracy theory a bit too much? Nobody who operates a poker room in NYC believes that.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:24 PM

It is interesting, I was there on Monday and Wednesday and on Wed, it was all people could talk about. how the national got hit, what was being done to protect this club, who was next, etc.
I guess the question of if/when it will re-open or not can't be answered yet???

Anyone know if the sister club was shut down as well?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is interesting, I was there on Monday and Wednesday and on Wed, it was all people could talk about. how the national got hit, what was being done to protect this club, who was next, etc.
I guess the question of if/when it will re-open or not can't be answered yet???

Anyone know if the sister club was shut down as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

They wont be reopening, that is confirmed. The "sisters are not happy"
Old 06-22-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually thats an improperly documented fact. Profiting from gambling is illegal in NY State, but they chose not to prosecute the player. So technically if you lose while playing your ok, if you win while playing your breaking the law. A lawyer like TMTTR can explain further, this is only my layman's explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[Lawyer on]

You are a little off, TT. I don't have the time to look it up right now, but "profiting from gambling" does not mean winning bets. Profiting from gambling is explicitly defined as making money from organizing and running the gambling operations (or assisting in organizing/running, i.e. dealing).

As far as I can tell, while gambling is forbidden by the Constitution of the State of New York (with a variety of exceptions built in -- horse racing, state lotteries, etc.), the only statute that sets a penalty for gambling is the loitering law. The loitering law makes it illegal to stay in one place for the purpose of gambling. The maximum penalty for that is a fine of $100 (and the statute may be unconstitutional).

At the same time, because gambling is "illegal" by the constitution, if you were ripped off by a poker room or wanted to try and get the money back that was confiscated during a poker raid, you would not have much of a chance.

[Lawyer off]
Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
More than 100 people inside at the time. Gamblers arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's well documented playing poker isn't illegal. Collecting the rake/time is. Players are only arrested are for warrants, drugs, etc.

Did they in fact lock up everyone in the place? Can't see that.

[/ QUOTE ]

13 people were arrested. Players were only arrested if they had warrants outstanding. Some players were detained longer than the rest because they did not have ID on them.

Anyone who thinks this has any implication for the presidential race or that Bloomberg had a hand in orchestrating this raid has no clue about politics or the operations of NYC. This is a blip on the radar.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is a lot of static right now between bloomberg's peeps and guiliani's peeps.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, this is ridiculous if you think its true. You have been watching the movie conspiracy theory a bit too much? Nobody who operates a poker room in NYC believes that.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not saying "i think its true", im am most certainly saying that NYC politics is sub-cesspool and anyone who thinks the above scenario is too fantastic to be possible (not plausible but possible) might be said to be out of touch with contemporary politics.

lets discuss this again when the commercials air featuring a menacing synth wash behind a slow zoom on a black and white image of bloomberg with the voice over;

"in 2007, the authorities in NYC took down several major organized poker rings, responsible for over 50 million dollars a year.

and where was bloomberg? he was on his yacht, ORGANIZING HIS OWN PRIVATE GAMBLING PARTIES USING MONEY PAID TO HIM BY THE TAXPAYERS OF THIS STATE!

(image solarizes quickly with his eyes glowing bright red).

rudy guilliani; bringing integrity back to politics."

etc etc.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im not saying "i think its true", im am most certainly saying that NYC politics is sub-cesspool and anyone who thinks the above scenario is too fantastic to be possible (not plausible but possible) might be said to be out of touch with contemporary politics.

lets discuss this again when the commercials air featuring a menacing synth wash behind a slow zoom on a black and white image of bloomberg with the voice over;

"in 2007, the authorities in NYC took down several major organized poker rings, responsible for over 50 million dollars a year.

and where was bloomberg? he was on his yacht, ORGANIZING HIS OWN PRIVATE GAMBLING PARTIES USING MONEY PAID TO HIM BY THE TAXPAYERS OF THIS STATE!

(image solarizes quickly with his eyes glowing bright red).

rudy guilliani; bringing integrity back to politics."

etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, you are clueless.

Poker in New York is so inconsequential to the grand scheme of events. You are also completely out of touch with the relationship Giuliani had with the Police. If you were aware of that relationship, you would know that Giuliani had nothing to do with any of this. You are even less aware of Bloomberg's relationship with the city -- i.e., he doesn't take a salary and reimbuses the city frequently for things that may be considered "personal." He is a billionaire. There is a small possibility that Bloomberg was aware of the raid, but it is not something he focuses on.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, you are clueless.

Poker in New York is so inconsequential to the grand scheme of events. You are also completely out of touch with the relationship Giuliani had with the Police. If you were aware of that relationship, you would know that Giuliani had nothing to do with any of this. You are even less aware of Bloomberg's relationship with the city -- i.e., he doesn't take a salary and reimbuses the city frequently for things that may be considered "personal." He is a billionaire. There is a small possibility that Bloomberg was aware of the raid, but it is not something he focuses on.

[/ QUOTE ]

im clueless because the imaginary hit-piece commercial i spouted off as a joke wasnt an accurate representation of the polisocial climate in contemporary manhattan?

nh sir, youre the man.