Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being Valedictorian

FWIW, I think it's an accomplishment you should be proud of.

Regardless of which school you go to or what your major is, being valedictorian is something to be proud of. Congrats.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 PM

I was valedictorian of my elementary graduating class. I had to give a speech to the all the students, staff, and parents. All downhill from there.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what do you do with an English major?

[/ QUOTE ]

"You want fries with that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

well played
Old 12-10-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know several engineers with 3.9X GPAs. Maintaining a 3.9+ in a tough major such as engineering is quite an impressive feat. Bragging about your grades in english is analgous to boasting about winning a race in the special olympics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too harsh. Most of these engineers would be not be near the top of their class if they had majored in English or literature of any type. And I'm assuming native speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of engineers that were bored in English class. I know I slept through mine. So I have to agree with this one but not for the reasons you assume. Forcing an Engineer to major in English is like putting a former Marine that served in Iraq and is now playing college football in a balley dance class. It just doesn't work.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know several engineers with 3.9X GPAs. Maintaining a 3.9+ in a tough major such as engineering is quite an impressive feat. Bragging about your grades in english is analgous to boasting about winning a race in the special olympics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too harsh. Most of these engineers would be not be near the top of their class if they had majored in English or literature of any type. And I'm assuming native speakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of engineers that were bored in English class. I know I slept through mine. So I have to agree with this one but not for the reasons you assume. Forcing an Engineer to major in English is like putting a former Marine that served in Iraq and is now playing college football in a balley dance class. It just doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-10-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, 'balley.' Yes, the fast-paced world of friction coefficients and material tensile strengths is just so exciting, so challenging, so what it truly is to be 'alive....' that nothing else compares.

In the interest of fairness, I was an English minor and hated most of my classes, though the ones that were more world lit, or rhetoric & composition, were often v. good.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM

I majored in English because I enjoyed reading and writing. I couldn't believe they'd let me actually do something I liked for a major. My communication skills are among my strongest assets in the business world, and I believe I know more about how people think and relate to one another because I'm well-read. Also, I didn't have to show up for class very often.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:25 PM

serious question

how many test/homework did you cheat on.

I cheated like twice a month and couldnt get past 3.7 so i assume you were pushing 5+ times a month.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:29 PM

not entirely what i meant to say. doing well in engineering school takes a different skill set than what english requires. however, many who succeed in engineering could also perform stongly in english. the opposite holds true much less frequently.

for your average person, it is infinitely more difficult to do well as an engineer than as an english major. if you were to compare the mean IQ levels between the 2 fields, i am sure you would find a shocking disparity.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:38 PM

too many people think they are smarter than they are.

posting on 2+2 does not make you smart by association.