Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: POOL

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many house rules for 8-ball it is nearly impossible to find someone to play with who knows the "real" rules. I usually just clarify the few simple ones before the game and go from there.

On another note, if any of you guys are serious about pool, check out one pocket - it's a great strategy game, requiring a lot of finesse and defense, and it's the easiest billiards game to handicap for different skill levels. I've been trying to get into it lately, but it's really hard to find anyone to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

one pocket, nice.. let's go!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are so many house rules for 8-ball it is nearly impossible to find someone to play with who knows the "real" rules. I usually just clarify the few simple ones before the game and go from there.

On another note, if any of you guys are serious about pool, check out one pocket - it's a great strategy game, requiring a lot of finesse and defense, and it's the easiest billiards game to handicap for different skill levels. I've been trying to get into it lately, but it's really hard to find anyone to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

one pocket, nice.. let's go!

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, seriously. i'm dying to get some practice in. where do you play?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM

yeah the worst part is it's always ME that comes off as the douchebag if i try to bring up the real rules. because you have like 5 guys arguing the wrong rules against me.. and if i try to make a big deal out of it like WTF I WILL BET YOU 10 THOUSAND THAT I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE ALL WRONG, then i come off as a [censored] that can't just relax and have a good time, that's why like i said most of the time i just play dumb but if we're playing for money or even pride it's horrible and i can't take it.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok main question is this:

if you scratch (cue into a pocket) the cue needs to be placed anywhere behind the headstring (correct?)

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't read responses so sorry if this is redundant, but I play ball in hand precisely because it's too easy for angleshooting [censored] to purposefully scratch when they have no shot if your last ball(s) are behind the headstring
Old 03-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Bar rules change by location and situation and always favor the locals and by their nature do not reflect actual 8ball rules.

Either play by the book or "ghetto" rules
ghetto rules = To avoid shootings/fights= no called shots b/c there's too much fighting over which ball kissed what when and then the guns come out over a $5 bet. Take any shot if one of your balls goes in continue. Obviously not hitting the 8 ball in not a penalty and a scratch is ball in hand.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Here are some more helpful links:

Wikipedia 8-ball

Diablo already linked BCA rules

WPA 8-ball rules

WPA General Rules

IPT 8-Ball

APA 8-Ball

VNEA 8-Ball
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 PM

slow play, daryn,

damn you guys....if you're ever in DC and feel like shooting some one hole, holla....

and ray, that site's great, there're a bunch of really great players that will post, do interviews, etc...i used to post some questions there a couple years back...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:31 AM

Friends and I have always played that scratch, not hitting your ball first, not hitting one of your balls at all are all ball in hand.

Scratching the 8, hitting the 8 in early, or hitting the 8 in the wrong pocket are all instant losses

Hitting your ball into a pocket you didn't call still counts, but you don't get to continue, the other player plays the cue whereever it ends up
Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Friends and I have always played that scratch, not hitting your ball first, not hitting one of your balls at all are all ball in hand.

Scratching the 8, hitting the 8 in early, or hitting the 8 in the wrong pocket are all instant losses

Hitting your ball into a pocket you didn't call still counts, but you don't get to continue, the other player plays the cue whereever it ends up

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how we play.

Any of you Boston guys have a league you recommend for a mediocre player?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how we play.

Any of you Boston guys have a league you recommend for a mediocre player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any. I should try to find one though; I really don't get enough chances to play anymore.