Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Celtics

[ QUOTE ]
Coming from a die-hard Boston fan...

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like it, because you're being completely reactionary.

I couldn't disagree more, 'cept maybe Perk. Perk is a solid 10-15 minutes back-up 5 on most teams, but definitely not a good starter. I like his aggressiveness and his size, but his b-ball IQ is subpar, his offense is lacking, and he's a walking foul call. His major weakness is he's slow, which can't really be fixed. Slow reactions, slow hands.. that's a big handicap for a big man.

Delonte, on the other hand, has a very high b-ball IQ. He was a very productive player last season. I just think the C's are messing him up this season. While he's not an amazing talent or anything, he's a valuable asset.

Big Al's problem has been part unlucky, part poor coaching/handling, and part on him. It was 2 years ago, but he was a stud towards the end of his rookie year, capped by a great series against the Pacers. Then he didn't work hard enough in the offseason; that's on him. Then Doc forgets he's only 19-20 and pulls him from games every time he makes a mistake and completely undercuts his confidence. Then the ankle, and now recently the appendix. He's been playing better this season. He's a good coach away from developing into a 16/9 guy, if not better. Hollinger's PER stat ranks Al pretty high. Oh yeah, and HE'S ONLY 21.

I understand people's love affair with Gerald, but I'm willing to wager that big Al will have a more productive career. If I get proved wrong, great. Right now, Gerald is a freakishly athletic young swingman lacking in b-ball IQ.. yeah that's a huge rarity in this league. He's showing a sweet jump shot, at least.

Honestly, starting over when the east is going to this weak for a few years is retarded. They've got solid pieces, it's coaching and mngt that needs to change.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see Jefferson getting there. I see him being an ok NBA, maybe a starter. But I do not see the star potential for him.

A lot of Jermaine O'Neal's problem was that he wasn't given a chance. Right now, the only thing the Celtics are focused on is trying to progress their young'ns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch the C's at all last season? You think Doc gave Jefferson a chance? That's laughable.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:19 AM

WTF @ tonight's game [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 AM

say what you like about green, but he's athletic and can shoot, i see no reason not to give him some playing time. him and pierce could be a pretty dyanimc pairing, and honestly they don't really need a stud PG playing with them. what they need is someone who shoots decently, plays some D and can distribute. they need to pick a PG and go with it.

i think jefferson is fine, and i like rondo. i think with the way the nba is going, they could probably go jefferson/gomes as starting bigs against many teams.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM

I have nothing to contribute except for the fact that I work with Kendrick Perkins' cousin's wife. She say he's a nice guy so I'm cool with that. I'll probably pay attention to the Celtics the next time they watch the playoffs.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:42 AM

5 years, $15 million... I'll be wasting roster and cap space for another 3 years. Thanks for the big contract Danny, god knows there was no market for me.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 PM

A couple things.

Don't hate on Scalabrine. He can defend opposing bigs better than anyone else on the Celtics. It's sad, but true. He also has had a consistently good plus/minus his whole career, because he does so many small things, (setting picks, making the extra pass to the right man, boxing out for others to get the rebound.) He is the anti- Gerald Green. At this point, it is more productive to have Scalabrine on the court than Gerald. Whether you want to develop Gerald into a better player is another question, but Doc Rivers is supposed to be trying to win games, not holding 19 year old basketball camps.

Secondly, Jefferson is seriously going to be a stud. 11 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 18 minutes last night on 5/6 shooting. Too bad Doc Rivers didn't feel the need to go to him in the second half. He compares very favorably with Jermaine O'Neal and Zack Randolph IMO. If Jefferson was in college, he would be receiving TONS of hype, instead of being a bench player on a bad NBA team.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:20 PM

GKA,

I second the Jefferson commentary. He's got a nose for the ball, silky smooth post moves, a soft touch, and he's 21. He needs to some work on D for sure, but HE'S 21 PEOPLE. I still think Doc is too short with him.

I agree/disagree about Scalabrine. He does do little things well, and he certainly works hard at those jobs. I don't mind him getting minutes. He is SO bad offensively, however, that anything over 12-15 mins a game is really bad, and even that's a bit too much. If he could routinely knock down the 3ball, I'd be OK with him. But he can't, he always looks like a bundle of nerves when he gets the ball. He hesitates with his shots AND his passes.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF @ tonight's game [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc must be pooping his pants after that one. Possibly the worst end of game sequence I've ever seen. Never mind letting the lead slip, that's bound to happen with this team, and the Nets are a better squad. But jesus christ. Pierce's 3 was ill-adviced (Daily Dime thinks they were going for a 2-for-1, which I agree. Makes sense given Pierce's hot hand, but once the pass gets bobbled, though, reset and just find a way to get 2 points). Then THEY LET 10 SECONDS TICK. First of all, Doc has to tell everyone to foul if they don't get the rebound. Then, when they do get the rebound, you need to be yelling FOUL, FOUL, FOUL. Inexcusable.

Then wtf @ the whole last possesion.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM

The whole last quarter was hard to watch. The Celts had been aggressive offensively all game then settled into the old "give the ball to Pierce, let him create" mode. Pierce was making ill advised passes, taking bad shots, generally just looked terrible out there whereas he was unstoppable the first 3 quarters.

Also, Doc left Telfair in the game too long. Up 15 they were in cruise control and then Jason Kidd just dominated a 5 minute stretch hitting a couple 3's and basically making Telfair look foolish. Telfair can drive but he can't defend and he can't pass and he can't shoot. Why can't we get a decent point guard? Every point guard that comes in just makes the Celts look silly, wheter it is Kidd, Chris Paul, or even Jameer Nelson.

Last nights game was very frustrating to watch. Tony Allen should never be on the court. Jefferson looked good offensively but still has to learn how to play defense and he has to stop traveling so much, he takes 10 steps before every move it seems like.

Ryan Gomes might be their 2nd best player.