Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Looking for pointers on learning to play guitar.

Here is what I did to teach myself...
1. Learn Chords
2. Learn to go from one chord to another smoothly
3. Learn to play tabs of favorite songs
4. Profit!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am planning on taking lessons, and either borrowing or buying a guitar from a friend. I am musically inclined, and while I can't actually read music, I can fake through singing sheet music decently. I'm big on reading, so what books would you recommend for a complete guitar noob, and also opinions, etc on fender vs gibson, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most important aspect of all music playing is the rythym function, so the best way to start off on guitar is playing very basic notes or chords with your left hand while practicing to a simple metronome, drum machine, or whatever. This is assuming you are right-handed, obviously. So your main focus will be on developing your right hand technique first and foremost.

Worry about the fancy stuff later on. Also, for whatever reason, acoustic guitar seems easier to learn on for me.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. From what I see in this thread, it appears with my flakiness about things that don't come easy, I may be better served taking dilz's advice; I am definitely an instant gratification kinda guy, and seeing some early results of any kind will likely keep me interested longer. If I was Daniel-san, those cars would still be dirty, the fence wouldn't be painted, his deck would be stubbly, and I'd be getting my ass kicked on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, you can learn to play some chords and have some fun right now and work on learning the right way after you've gotten your feet wet and have some idea as to whether you're cut out for it.

I'm all for getting proper instruction, learning sheet music, scales, etc. But you won't do yourself any harm by taking a path that leads to some relatively quick gratification. Guitar is hard on your hands, your wrist and your fingers when you start out. It's easy to give up on it if you don't have some sense that you're getting somewhere.

I've seen your karaoke video. You can sing already. If you get a guitar and never learn anything other than how to smoothly strum and switch between the G,C,D,E,A,Am,Em and F chords you'll already be able to sing and play about a million different rock/pop/country/folk songs.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think waaaaay more ppl play piano than guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

define play. chopsticks doesnt count as playing imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think waaaaay more ppl play piano than guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

define play. chopsticks doesnt count as playing imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The number of people I've met who play piano is dwarfed by the number who think they play guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. After I'd been playing the guitar a few months I ended up talking about how I was learning to a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a while. He proceeded to tell me how he had been playing for a couple years and indicated that he was pretty good. So one day we got together to jam a little. I was hoping he could teach me some new stuff.

He brings his gear inside, gets his electric guitar out and his amplifier going, plugs in and plays the first 6 notes of Enter Sandman and says "that's it." I asked him what he meant. "That's all I know," he said.

Now, for those recommending piano over guitar:

1. A guitar goes anywhere. A piano is stuck in one spot.

2. Most popular music is written and performed on guitar.

3. It takes a very modest amount of skill to start having fun on the guitar. No instrument offers so much enjoyment for such relatively little effort.