Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Quitting my crap job to grind 2/5+ live??

Lots of interesting opinions on both sides so far.

I quit a high paying job with a wife and two kids to play poker - for a living if I could get good enough. I did this over two years ago. My good fortune is that my wife has a great job, I am lucky to spend so much time with the kids (now as the primary caregiver - or "housewife") and my mother-in-law lives across the country.

At first I was exclusively on-line. Its a great way to play a zillion hands and try new strategies, etc. But I wouldn't play on-line professionally. Too little contact with people.

I now play live several times a month, traveling over 2 hours to Foxwoods and staying over Friday night. I have raised my game to 10/20 LHE and hope to move up to 20/40 soon (when I feel comfortable that a couple of major leaks have been plugged and I can deal with adversity without tilting). I have not regretted my choice at all. I left stress behind and I totally love what I do.

If you love poker - then give it a try. Why not? The downside is you will end up where you are now, knowing that you gave it your best shot. The alternative would be to always regret never trying.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM

Default I SAY BUSTO IN A SIX MONTHS!!!!

Keep your day job. You'll need it at some point.

If you're really serious about grinding, stick to limit.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:35 AM

I'm in a similar boat & same age and position as you (done w/college debating what to do next), so I like this thread and find it interesting. Very, very tough call. I'd say go for it though, as you'll regret not doing it later. I am also curious about win rates and such, as I havent played enough hours to know. But, I've seen soft enough 1/2 games (which wont make a living, but 2-300 max in ac/fw/ts can be soft as hell) and i'd say go with 10-20 limit, 15-30 limit, and 2-5 NL and just travel around or camp out in la so you can go to san diego and vegas at times too...that would be ideal for me, live in ac/south jersey for summer, and out west winter and hit a bunch of rooms...but, as people said, a LOT different playing for rent money than fun, whole outlook changes, maybe make some folds you shouldnt or try to press to get even/ahead when you know you're beat, I have to believe it takes a mental toll...Good luck, curious how you do since I was going to post a similar topic thread
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You also tend to be surrounded by miserable and petty people all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point and can be a huge drawback. Personally, I really enjoy playing poker but really get tired of being around poker players. Beware of the dark and negative cloud hanging around some players, they will try to suck you in their bitter little world.

Depending on the city you play in, the time of day can help avoid these peeps as well as maybe find a more profitable game. You will make more money against casual players out for and afternoon / evening of fun than the grinders and regular rocks who show up every day at 10am, rain or shine. Plus, th casual players are more fun to be around.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: I SAY BUSTO IN A SIX MONTHS!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
If you're really serious about grinding, stick to limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

??
Old 09-20-2007, 10:49 AM

About 75% of college age poker players have similar wild ideas, about a life of fame, fortune, and "ease" playing Hold Em as opposed to the "boring" work world. They foresee easy wins with little work, not considering the future consequences.

Most such individuals are overestimating their chances, coupled with not having adequate bankrolls or clear ideas of the swings involved, etc. Thus, the idea goes down in flames rather quickly for just about everyone who attempts to do this. Only the truly good, disciplined players survive.

I myself did this for a year and a half, alternating between 2/5 NL and occasional 1/2 NL, with about 5-10% tournaments mixed in, and dealing games on the side. Most of the time, the money far exceeded what someone in their mid 20's could earn at even a good job. The hours were good, considering I could sleep late and make my own schedule most of the time. I was also able to meet semi-famous players, as well as new people constantly, and enjoy myself at "work" a good deal of the time. Downsides included a social life that went from great to essentially non-existent, otherwise interested girls being turned off by my lifestyle, and bad swings which left a way-more-than-bitter taste in my mouth. It also left me with a resume gap and less interest in getting a so-called real world job.

You personally sound like a winning player, with adequate bankroll and a good head for the game. Seems like you could pull it off. Be advised that it will not be as easy/enjoyable as you might think, and you will have long stretches where the money doesn't come as readily as you had expected. Also keep in mind that you will be hurting chances for future employment by taking yourself out of the job market, and may hurt yourself when it comes to things like verifying income for credit, mortgages, etc (the logical assumption here is that you will not be declaring any winnings). My advice would be not to do this, at least not yet, as you can continue to have your irritating job (welcome to the club, the job market isn't kind to the post-college crowd), and play on the side. If you can pickup a couple of hundred a session, more power to you. Good luck in whatever option you choose.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM

And then there's always the other goofy option - a new full time job, with location constrained by poker availability (there's plenty of poker cities). Its not like you were ever going to work in your current job for forty years.

If changing jobs produces a temporary unemployed state (a month or two), poker is available and would give a good taste of full-time cards life with less risk.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you invest regularly in a high paying savings account........PAY YOURSELF MONTHLY.

When you reach your mid 40's you will have a nice nest egg.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someones been reading "Rich dad poor dad".
I think OP has other considerations than what to do with the spare cash.
The big question actually is, if there will be any spare cash.
On another note, I also think this going pro sceme sounds better than most.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM

is everyone drunk today?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is everyone drunk today?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I wish