Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: This can be my delayed Pooh-Bah post - \"The Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
1) Is great hand reading just an inherent ability, or can anybody learn to do it with enough work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure both have an impact to some extent. I believe that with enough work anyone could pick it up, but being open minded is definitely a key factor in how efficiently it can be learned. I suppose it depends on if you consider an ability to think critically to be innate.

In one scenario, if a player who does not think critically plays enough hands, his brain should still come up with an approximate percentage of time that he will win in each scenario based upon similar hands he has played.

In another scenario, a player who is thinking critically about the hands will naturally come up with the same approximates based upon his experiences. However, his critical thinking will allow him to understand why it is this way and will allow him to come up with his own hand ranges much faster that someone who is just streaming a ton of data into their brain. In this case he may also find that some situations are more similar than they apply to the naked eye.

The first example is basically playing off his gut instinct and playing only using his subconscious, whereas the second example uses the same gut instinct but also applies their conscious thought for a more well-rounded and accurate estimate.

[ QUOTE ]
2) You can only play one level of HUSNGs for the rest of your life. What is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

$5000 of course!

My favorites are the $33s and $100s as of right now. At the $100s I am comfortable while playing at a single table, but I usually feel a drive to take shots at higher levels where I'm not completely prepared for the variance. At the $33s I really don't care either way because I'm happy with my hourly while playing 2 tables.

I'd probably go with the $33s.

[ QUOTE ]
3) What are your three favorite movies? Three favorite albums?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really tough for movies, but I'll go with American History X, Office Space, and Beavis and Butthead Do America.

It is really tough to narrow down a top 3 movies.

I saw American Gangster today, it was pretty badass and is up there. Not top 3, but top 25 probably.

For my favorite albums I'll go with:

NOFX - Wolves in Wolves Clothing
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Pearl Jam - Live on Two Legs

...thats some pretty serious variety.

[ QUOTE ]
4) What's your favorite waffle topping (besides butter ldo).

[/ QUOTE ]

This one should be top 3!

The answer is definitely syrup (maple, butter pecan, or boysenberry). The runners up would be vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
5.How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck would?

According to Wikipedia woodchucks have "short but powerful limbs and curved, thick claws." These are traits that I would consider ideal for woodchucking, so I assume that a woodchuck could chuck quite a bit of wood.

-- I am memorizing this and using it whenever someone says that if you dont mind...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the one you need to ask, I stole my information from Wikipedia!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Do you like to play other games of strategy? What games do you believe gave you the best card sense?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brand New - Deja Entendu

[/ QUOTE ]
Have sex with me.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you like to play other games of strategy? What games do you believe gave you the best card sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this doesn't include other card games the only other strategy games that come to mind are Warcraft 3 and Risk. I don't think Warcraft 3 improved my card playing at all except that I have so much experience talking [censored] that I may be able to induce tilt easier. I also probably have a superior ability to disregard player's chat because I used to talk [censored] to players who were way out of my league, and they definitely unleashed on me when I lost. Risk I suppose improved my critical thinking (I'm beyond godlike in Risk) but beyond that it is a bit of stretch to try to apply it to poker. I suppose the only connection I could make is that the bigger continents are harder to take but pay off more if you can maintain them.

Asia is the $5000 heads up ldo.

I don't really think either of those have had any major impact on me in poker, but it was the closest I could come up to for an answer. I could probably make a connection between being eating gourmet food and playing poker but I doubt I don't think being a food snob would be +EV.

PS: I spend pretty much all my poker money on expensive food, so if anyone needs restaurant advice for any chains or places to eat in the North Jersey or College Station, Texas area I'm a solid source of information.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Is great hand reading just an inherent ability, or can anybody learn to do it with enough work?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure both have an impact to some extent. I believe that with enough work anyone could pick it up, but being open minded is definitely a key factor in how efficiently it can be learned. I suppose it depends on if you consider an ability to think critically to be innate.

In one scenario, if a player who does not think critically plays enough hands, his brain should still come up with an approximate percentage of time that he will win in each scenario based upon similar hands he has played.

In another scenario, a player who is thinking critically about the hands will naturally come up with the same approximates based upon his experiences. However, his critical thinking will allow him to understand why it is this way and will allow him to come up with his own hand ranges much faster that someone who is just streaming a ton of data into their brain. In this case he may also find that some situations are more similar than they apply to the naked eye.

The first example is basically playing off his gut instinct and playing only using his subconscious, whereas the second example uses the same gut instinct but also applies their conscious thought for a more well-rounded and accurate estimate.

[/ QUOTE ]
FullTiltPoker Game #3947731750: $110 + $5 Heads Up Sit & Go (30031048), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:14:32 ET - 2007/10/23
Seat 1: xSCWx (1,755)
Seat 2: cwar24 (1,245)
cwar24 posts the small blind of 15
xSCWx posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cwar24 [Kd Jd]
cwar24 raises to 75
xSCWx calls 45
*** FLOP *** [2c 5d 4d]
xSCWx checks
cwar24 bets 105
xSCWx calls 105
*** TURN *** [2c 5d 4d] [Jh]
xSCWx checks
cwar24 has 15 seconds left to act
cwar24 bets 210
xSCWx has 15 seconds left to act
xSCWx has requested TIME
xSCWx calls 210
*** RIVER *** [2c 5d 4d Jh] [5c]
xSCWx checks
cwar24 has requested TIME
cwar24 bets 855, and is all in
xSCWx has requested TIME
xSCWx calls 855
*** SHOW DOWN ***
cwar24 shows [Kd Jd] two pair, Jacks and Fives
xSCWx mucks
cwar24 wins the pot (2,490) with two pair, Jacks and Fives
The blinds are now 20/40
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,490 | Rake 0
Board: [2c 5d 4d Jh 5c]
Seat 1: xSCWx (big blind) mucked <font color="red">[9d As]</font> - a pair of Fives
Seat 2: cwar24 (small blind) showed [Kd Jd] and won (2,490) with two pair, Jacks and Fives

Teach me more about advanced hand reading.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How 'bout this. [censored] YOU! My question was legit 'cuz I simply didn't how the Original Post applied to HU poker. Go [censored] yourself and diagf.

Ty,

Chrismystero

PS: xSCWx, good responses thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Chill bro.
You obv dont play HU poker - cos if you did - you would tilt like crazy. haha. Sit at my table anytime champ.

[/ QUOTE ]
diagf
Old 11-04-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brand New - Deja Entendu

[/ QUOTE ]
Have sex with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know too much about sex that doesn't involve females, but what did you think about The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me?

My roommate hated it and says they sold out. I like it, possibly more than Deja. I find that the songs on Deja are better "musically," but the songs on the new CD are catchier.

I'd compare the new CD to Panda Express. It tastes pretty good, but it isn't high quality food.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FullTiltPoker Game #3947731750: $110 + $5 Heads Up Sit &amp; Go (30031048), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:14:32 ET - 2007/10/23
Seat 1: xSCWx (1,755)
Seat 2: cwar24 (1,245)
cwar24 posts the small blind of 15
xSCWx posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cwar24 [Kd Jd]
cwar24 raises to 75
xSCWx calls 45
*** FLOP *** [2c 5d 4d]
xSCWx checks
cwar24 bets 105
xSCWx calls 105
*** TURN *** [2c 5d 4d] [Jh]
xSCWx checks
cwar24 bets 210
xSCWx has requested TIME
xSCWx calls 210
*** RIVER *** [2c 5d 4d Jh] [5c]
xSCWx checks
cwar24 has requested TIME
cwar24 bets 855, and is all in
xSCWx has requested TIME
xSCWx calls 855
*** SHOW DOWN ***
cwar24 shows [Kd Jd] two pair, Jacks and Fives
xSCWx mucks
cwar24 wins the pot (2,490) with two pair, Jacks and Fives
The blinds are now 20/40
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,490 | Rake 0
Board: [2c 5d 4d Jh 5c]
Seat 1: xSCWx (big blind) mucked <font color="red">[9d As]</font> - a pair of Fives
Seat 2: cwar24 (small blind) showed [Kd Jd] and won (2,490) with two pair, Jacks and Fives

Teach me more about advanced hand reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't deny that it was a bad call in hindsight. That was my first $100 after ~400 games of $33s so I hadn't really made the transition. I also have 13% ROI and $15+ avg profit per game over ~120 games at 110+5 so I'm not particularly stressed over it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Edit: This is a couple weeks old but I suppose it still applies since I haven't played much over the past 2.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brand New - Deja Entendu

[/ QUOTE ]
Have sex with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know too much about sex that doesn't involve females, but what did you think about The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me?

My roommate hated it and says they sold out. I like it, possibly more than Deja. I find that the songs on Deja are better "musically," but the songs on the new CD are catchier.

I'd compare the new CD to Panda Express. It tastes pretty good, but it isn't high quality food.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think they sold out and it's not really a bad album, but compared to how much Deja and Your Favorite Weapon impacted me, it's a let down. They tried way too hard to sound deep and important, and they never really got there. In every interview I saw, Jesse Lacey kept saying how he wanted to be Morrissey or Bono and make the best CD ever, and every time I read it I'd just die a little inside.