Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: WSOP: Incompetent Dealers Could Decide Outcome

Harrahs is, was and will always be a joke of a company
Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM

So if you got hired would the title of your thread have been -- WSOP: Incompetent Dealers and Me Could Decide Outcome?

Don't be so full of yourself and don't be so bitter. If they had said, "Oops, sorry, you are hired," You sure as hell wouldn't be whining on an Internet message board.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM

What I don't understand is how there were numerous dealers complaining last year about the unacceptable work conditions and lousy pay, but yet these same guys are upset because they didn't get hired.

Just get over it. The nature of short-term tourney dealers will tend to lead to less-talented dealers. After all, the best dealers would tend to be in a big market, probably LA, San Jose, or Vegas, where they can get paid well. Dealing for 3 months a year doesn't make enough money to live, so you'll tend to get lesser talent, on the whole.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that system (it's unavoidable for the WSOP, anyway); that's just the way it is. I do think that people shouldn't bitch about wages when the juice for the tourneys is so high, though.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm amazed by how short-sighted NVG's reaction to OP is...

I didn't think at any point that he was trying to elicit sympathy for his plight or complain about his lack of employment, and he seems like the type of person who won't have problem finding work anyway. Rather, he's just a dude looking for a job who got jerked around by Harrah's and is sharing his experience. If you don't think the runaround translates to us, the customer, you're missing his point.

If you're not alarmed, or at least interested, by his tale, it's probably because you've just become accustomed to taking it up the ass from Harrah's and have grown complacent, but OP did nothing wrong in sharing his experience. If you are so offended by his comments, just ignore this thread and contribute to the latest thread about whoever is sitting in the 200/400 NL game or whatever really interests you. Who has time for such trifling things as Harrah's hiring policy for the WSOP!?

In any case, I definitely appreciate people like OP reminding us how poorly Harrah's manages the most prestigious poker event of the year.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM

I can't remember many times in my life when a dealer's mistake made any huge difference. The standard misdeal just means you start over. Any other errors are corrected. Inexperienced or not, any poker dealer is performing in front of ten people who are more than quick to correct any slight error. I have seen the new dealers around the cash games at the World Series. They get a lot of coaching from the players and players whine to high heaven if they caught an Ace and there had to be a misdeal.

Even though Harrah's did not hire you, they will somehow muddle through running a WSOP that has gotten very huge.

It a massive corporation, Harrah's. When word gets out that they did not hire the original poster when they had a chance, their stock would plummet and the investment bankers would be as nervous as the sheep around Texas A & M. Let's all call on Harrah's to make the original poster "whole". We could start a letter writing campaign that gets the Harrah's official that closed the auditions right at the worst possible time fired. Start a poll.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think that people shouldn't bitch about wages when the juice for the tourneys is so high, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, those of us who were there last year weren't bitching about wages. We were bitching about bnot egtting paid what and when we we were supposed to.

Second of all your statement makes no sense to me. Would it be wrong for a waiter, chef, dishwasher etc. to complain that they weren't getting paid enough simply becuase the restaurant they worked at was expensive?f the business you work for is making more money why is it less reasonable for you to want to get paid more? I think you have it backwards.

And BTW I am not convinced that the juice on these tournaments is out of line.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't play high enough limits to have made it worth it for me to play. I played 2 hours one night and didn't touch the cash tables other than that. Games seemed real juicy but the rake was insanity.

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that the time charges in Warsaw were like $100/hour and collected in advance 2 hours ... so you start out stuck $200 or the Euro equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM

oh the horror to think that a human could be taught a small book of rules and how to perform repetitive tasks in only a couple of months. honestly i don't know if i'd prefer to have my entire dealer crew be people i just trained to do the job, or people who have "auditioned," and have ego about their performance as a dealer.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
f the business you work for is making more money why is it less reasonable for you to want to get paid more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause you do the same [censored] thing? ZOMG if they lose money are you gonna pay them? Why don't you get a profit share instead of a wage them. Poor people. LOLZ
Old 05-08-2007, 05:56 PM

the skill of the labor has not increased, nor has the pool of competitors for the position decreased nor has demand for the labor far outstripped available supply. so why would the company want to pay them more?