Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: I have an idea, but where do I start?

[ QUOTE ]

Another huge, huge thing we are going to use is ebay. We have been following products like what we would be selling on there for the past several days/weeks even and have seen several hundred auctions going off every day for the same products we would offer for MORE than we would try to charge on our actual site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to be careful here. In any popular category, the price competition on ebay is severe. If you think you'll be able to offer goods for cheaper than the larger, more established ebay sellers, you probably should double and triple check your assumptions.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Godaddy has a stupid "rule" that says if you are reported to be spamming and found guilty they can take your domain from you. This is whether or not you use them for hosting - just registering your domain with them is enough for them to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bradley,

Can you post up a copy of the relevant section of GoDaddy's T&C?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347385
Bunch of info and links to horror stories.

go daddy spam policy
Go Daddy will require a non-refundable reactivation fee to be paid before the site, email boxes and/or services are reactivated.

The fee is $199. The unfortunate thing is if you have multiple domains with them they'll require that fee on ALL of your domains. One guy was reported for spam for just e-mailing a webmaster asking for an onsite link trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

bradley could you provide any good alternatives that you have had experience with?

G
Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Gdiddy:

I think you will have a much greater chance of success by looking at things from a marketing perspective, That is, find a need or want that exists and fill it as opposed to trying to find a market for a (random?) product/service. I hope that makes sense.

Regarding retail, coming from a person that had a motorcycles parts business, please re-read what Quercus wrote.

Assuming you succeed in getting yourself set up with suppliers, you now have to compete against others with greater buying power who can operate on razor thin margins.

If you want to move forward, it might be worth looking into Yahoo small business. You can quickly and easily set up your website with everything you need including a merchant account. There are a ton of developers that work with whatever HTML type language Yahoo uses.

Also, you will most likely need a sellers permit. To get the sellers permit you will need some sort of business entity (at east in states I'm familiar with).