Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Going to take the LSAT in October, just started prep yesterday...

[ QUOTE ]
It was my understanding that you could get the answers to these tests but no explanations, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing practice tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. I rarely, if ever, came across a question where I couldn't figure out why the correct answer was better than mine.

-McGee
Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM

I think I found one in all the practice tests I took, and when I showed it to another person they were able to offer a cogent explanation pretty easily, so it was just some bizarre mental block on my end. It's the LSAT, not philosophy. The logic stuff is all cut and dry and the reading comprehension stuff is easy.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 PM

To the OP and anyone preppin for the Oct. LSAT:

It'd be really cool if anyone wanted to take the time to blog it out. Like give us your first practice test score, and each subsequent score, how you study, etc. and your final result.

Just think it'd be really cool for newbies to read through how someone improved their lsat.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM

You guys are pussies, anyone who is anyone can walk into any standardized test and walk out 95%+.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are pussies, anyone who is anyone can walk into any standardized test and walk out 95%+.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

1) 95% on the LSAT will get you laughed at by T14 schools.

2) I know you probably did well on your PSAT a few months back, but the LSAT is completely different.

3) 10K LSAT yo.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Will do, I'm already in the process of converting my Finance blog into an LSAT blog. My first real entry will be after I take a test this weekend, but I will be sure to update it. It will be at Dmonies.blogspot.com.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 AM

158 on first Kaplan test in their book, meh. Hopefully I'll be up to 160+ by the first test of my Powerscore class.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Noah, you have done a lot of great work in these LSAT threads so please don't take this the wrong way. But I think this is flat-out wrong (and not because I was 95th percentile for the June 11 test and still hope to go top-14).

Anecdotally, I know of several people at places like NYU and Virginia who were in the 95th percentile.

And if you look at the US News numbers, there are plenty of top-14 schools where 95th percentile of LSAT scores is within the 25th percentile to 75th percentile range at the school -- Stanford, UPenn, Cal-Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, UVa, Northewestern, Cornell, and Georgetown.

Now, I'm assuming that what is 95th percentile for the test I took is roughly what it is for previous years. This is surely less accurate than if I had the percentile numbers for the specific tests, but it's the best I have. Even if it varies from year to year, I think it's pretty clear that there are a decent number of law students at top 14 schools who scored in the 95th percentile on the LSAT.

-McGee
Old 07-27-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are pussies, anyone who is anyone can walk into any standardized test and walk out 99%+.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. It's scary as [censored] that there are people out there who struggle to get over 165 on the LSATs who are going to be lawyers. I feel the same way about doctors and the MCAT.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Noah, you have done a lot of great work in these LSAT threads so please don't take this the wrong way. But I think this is flat-out wrong (and not because I was 95th percentile for the June 11 test and still hope to go top-14).

Anecdotally, I know of several people at places like NYU and Virginia who were in the 95th percentile.

And if you look at the US News numbers, there are plenty of top-14 schools where 95th percentile of LSAT scores is within the 25th percentile to 75th percentile range at the school -- Stanford, UPenn, Cal-Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, UVa, Northewestern, Cornell, and Georgetown.

Now, I'm assuming that what is 95th percentile for the test I took is roughly what it is for previous years. This is surely less accurate than if I had the percentile numbers for the specific tests, but it's the best I have. Even if it varies from year to year, I think it's pretty clear that there are a decent number of law students at top 14 schools who scored in the 95th percentile on the LSAT.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I was exaggerating, but I just don't think people like him get how high you need to score. Anything above a 170 on the LSAT is usually in the 99%. I think for my test, 95% was like a 167, does that sound right?

95% in traditional school is considered an A. But that just isn't good enough for most top schools unless you have minority status, work experience, really high GPA, etc. Unless you have something really strong in one of these categories, you can't go by the %s that are given by LSAC, etc.

If you look to Stanford, who is usually lower LSAT friendly, of people scoring 165-169, 7 got in and 61 got rejected. (not counting minorities)

of the 14 who got in, the avg. GPA was a 3.87.

at penn, 1/3 got accepted, but again, the average gpa was a 3.87.

so yeah, you can get a lower LSAT, but you better have something to make up for it.