Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: NL$400, overpair against balugawhale

[ QUOTE ]

on this flop he is rarely, if ever, c/f air.

If he has a medium strength hand that doesnt want to get it all in, he probably mixes up betting flop and c/c flop. When he checked I felt like 90% sure he was c/c with a hand like JJ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is true, its almost criminal not to shove the river, especially when it's a big beautiful ace.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
checking the flop = el terrible. You make your hand impossible to play, as evidenced by the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

checking the flop is not terrible by any means, results oriented thinking is not something to get into.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, this is the 3rd time in a few days that you've posted some interesting opinions on hands, but failed to give your reasoning. It's apparent that many of us here (myself included) think that checking this flop is terrible, can you please explain why you think checking this flop is the right play?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

on this flop he is rarely, if ever, c/f air.

If he has a medium strength hand that doesnt want to get it all in, he probably mixes up betting flop and c/c flop. When he checked I felt like 90% sure he was c/c with a hand like JJ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is true, its almost criminal not to shove the river, especially when it's a big beautiful ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-04-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
checking the flop = el terrible. You make your hand impossible to play, as evidenced by the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

checking the flop is not terrible by any means, results oriented thinking is not something to get into.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, this is the 3rd time in a few days that you've posted some interesting opinions on hands, but failed to give your reasoning. It's apparent that many of us here (myself included) think that checking this flop is terrible, can you please explain why you think checking this flop is the right play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking with Baluga and I check the flop with AK a lot, this means that if I check with AK then I have to check with other hands. I think it's still better to do so as we will often have AK here, about the same amount as we have pairs that we may wish to double barrel. If we choose to bet AK everytime then it leaves us double barrelling a lot of boards etc.

With hands like QQ / TT that we don't have 3 streets of value and often not even 2 streets of value then checking on pretty safe boards is fine as it will not only give us the chance to maybe bet the turn and the river but also balance out our range so we get free cards with other hands.

When we have the best hand, our opponents equity usually diminishes on the turn and adopting a flop check line allows us to take advantage of this.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:38 PM

Baluga: if your read is that he's checking flop to check-call, did you consider firing flop *and* turn? Or do you believe that he's planning to check-call both?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 PM

All-

I already said that in retrospect I should've pushed the river. He really can't call with JJ or QQ, which I felt made up most of his range. I was actually somewhat afraid of AA when the A came, but I suppose that is MUBS.

Checking the flop is fine with QQ here provided you do it with other holdings. True is right-- if you mix up your bet/check % on the flop you make your hand tough to read. However, I didn't think that wtfsvi would check air here. I also was pretty sure he would call my flop bet, so rather than committing to bet two streets on a draw, I thought I'd take a free chance at hitting and then make a turn move.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 PM

I don't know what BW is repping...

In pos. if he bets flop, his range is wide and can include sets/overpairs/draws/air/etc.

Given flop action, what is he repping on the turn? I think that there are few combinations of Tens out there (maybe T9s or something like that). I would assume he would bet the flop with pot building hands like sets and such w. the stack sizes. And his turn raise is inconsistent with the flop check with a hand that has decent showdown value (ie. 99 or something).
Old 01-05-2007, 02:15 PM

overpairs are the nuts. push.