Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Ask deadbody About managing a bank in the Ghetto

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It isn't 'Ghetto' if the bank doesn't have the tellers behind bullet-proof glass. Did you have these?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason, I don't see any bulletproof glass banks anymore. The last bank I saw that had them was one in a upper middle class neighborhood in Maryland. I even lived in, been to some rough neighborhoods since then and none have the glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because the staff is told to comply with the robbers every request. No need for bullet proof glass if you are gonna do whatever the robber asks anyways, gives them no reason to shoot you, and disturbs the customers who think the bank may not be safe because the need the glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wells Fargo at Scottsdale Rd. and McDowell Road in Arizona installed these a year or so ago. I hadn't been in that branch in a long while. It felt like 'home' since I'd been in business in the South Bronx and all the banks had them. The teller told me they'd been robbed 4 times and since putting in the glass the robbers must be going somewhere else because it's deterred them. I always wondered about that because a robber could always grab an employee or customer and, with a gun to their head, rob the place anyway.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM

Where was the branch? South mpls?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, the Ask threads are interesting, and since I have some experience in this matter, I thought it would interest people.

I was the Senior Assistant Branch Manager for a financial institution in MN that has many supermarket branches. I worked in the heart of the ghetto for my last year and a half there. I have been accused of racism, and called cracker more times than I care to remember, along with seeing a fight break out (posted on here a long time ago on a Fight trip report thread, someone with better search skillz can probably find it) and watching the off-duty cops threaten to "Take off this gun belt and beat your ass." to the criminals in my branch.

Any questions about Checking or savings accounts (no lending at my branch), or bank policies people have, send 'em this way. Work is slow today and I'm feeling like I could maybe contribute something here. I am no longer in banking as I spent the summer playing frisbee golf and donating plasma after the bank fired me for a very trumped up reason, and I left the field about 2 years ago.

Start 'em coming, I have 4.5 hours left at work, and god forbid that I use it wisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this branch right across from a police station?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's in a cub foods now across the parking lot from a Walmart that used to be a Kmart

[/ QUOTE ]

Lake and Nicollet? Oh yeah, that's more ghetto than the one I worked at (the old Minnehaha branch, in the strip mall next to Target)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM

WTF. Where the eff have you been, pudley?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Deadbody, I gather you work at a TCF.

Could you undo a couple of overdrafts that happened to me a few days ago? I thought my check had clear and I went to the ATM and withdrew 3 times (canterbury), no dice.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that's the exact design of the bank that held my college fraternity's account, in Flint, MI. Except in beige. Now THAT was ghetto.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are black people in Minnesota?

[/ QUOTE ]

They play for the Vikings and TWolves.. and a few for the Twins [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Deadbody, I gather you work at a TCF.

Could you undo a couple of overdrafts that happened to me a few days ago? I thought my check had clear and I went to the ATM and withdrew 3 times (canterbury), no dice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work at TCF (the Midway branch for the folks asking) I don't any longer, I'd call the 612-tcf-bank number and ask them to reverse some of them. I'd also move your account to a bank that won't screw with you on unavailable funds (see any other bank in the state)

And for anyone who says Lake street was more ghetto than Midway bullshiat. I knew people who had worked at both, and Lake St. at least had a contingent of freaks who were otherwise good people, Midway was just all ghetto folk.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much did you make donating plasma?

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 a week, but I have really crappy veins so I had to quit doing it after a while (and I still have a scar on my elbow because they kept having to use the same spot)

[/ QUOTE ]

More info RE: this? Is it painful, worth the time, etc?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 AM

How much cash can a person deposit or withdraw at one time without big brother being informed? Does it make a difference whether you are at a large nation-wide bank or a smaller local one?