Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 75/150 Omaha hi/lo and/or mixed game?

[ QUOTE ]
I cant bear to sit in a game like that without 50 BBs. And you should be scared of the QQ29s and 2449 limpers because those are exactly the types of guys who are going to put beats on you that will send you to the bleacher seats before the variance evens out with your limited bank.

Good luck. As long as you dont go ice cold early, you'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scared of people playing extremely -EV holdings? Perhaps in a loose-aggro game.

But if it's loose-passive, then they'll be letting me dictate the betting, while they check-call, check-call down with the 3rd nut low or 10-high flush and pay me off time and time again.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 AM

If you want to play (I think that's fairly obvious), go for it. View it as learning and entertainment vs a pure profit-making venture (though you should still hope to have a + expectation, obviously you don't *know* it yet).

And TT is right about one thing for sure, its always fun to win bigger chips than your normal games - I can remember the first times I won green/black/purple in a game...and how mad I was when I didn't win a 1k the only time I had a shot at one so far [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sell 1/2 your action so your only playing 37.50/75. This way you get your feet wet while not feeling the risk of fiscal ruin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice TT, although not sure where I'd find interested parties in such a situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd consider buying a stake, except for the fact that I've seen you play...

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, I KNEW one of you Woostah! players would chime in with that comment. Perhaps you forget that I never cash in KilgoreTrouts tournaments but I completely own you guys in the side cash games afterwards (w00t, it's 1/2 and 2/4 baby!!!) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, I KNEW one of you Woostah! players would chime in with that comment. Perhaps you forget that I never cash in KilgoreTrouts tournaments but I completely own you guys in the side cash games afterwards (w00t, it's 1/2 and 2/4 baby!!!) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep saying this but . . .
Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice TT, although not sure where I'd find interested parties in such a situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let your friends buy in for shares. For example if you are raising a 10k stake 1 point = $1000, 10 points in the pool, and keep 5 points for yourself. Using this strategy you can sell even 1/4 point shares for $250. You will be surprised at how fast you can raise a stake using multiple small investors. This is precisely how I played my first 100/200 Badugi/Triple Draw game with 50 bets on the table and 50 in the back pocket for emergency use.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let your friends buy in for shares. For example if you are raising a 10k stake 1 point = $1000, 10 points in the pool, and keep 5 points for yourself. Using this strategy you can sell even 1/4 point shares for $250. You will be surprised at how fast you can raise a stake using multiple small investors. This is precisely how I played my first 100/200 Badugi/Triple Draw game with 50 bets on the table and 50 in the back pocket for emergency use.

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Friends? Oh, you mean all those people who I like taking money off of? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I dunno, I kinda feel weird asking people for money. My local friends all work crummy jobs, and my 2+2 friends from Woostah! have trouble recognizing my greatness. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think I'm going to approach the game with the 4K and just look to not play scared. If I lose the 4K, well, so be it. But I'm going to play as well as I can and not allow those little thoughts to creep in.

You know those thoughts I'm talking about. When you're sitting there and you just invested $500 into a pot and you're thinking about how you could have spent it on asian triplets or put it towards that new entertainment system or whatever.

My wife was freaking out that I had plans to play 75/150. But I told here I'm just taking a shot to see how it goes. Most of the best poker players out there have been willing to take such risks before, and I'm ready to take my risk and play more than twice as high as I ever have.

I'm actually really excited by it. And hey, it's only 4K, not like I can't make that back, not like I'm dropping 40 grand or something.

May be a few weeks before I make the trip, but I'll post a report after it's done (and probably take a job working for fruit cups so we don't starve after I blow the 4 grand) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Friends? Oh, you mean all those people who I like taking money off of? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the bigger investors in my bank last year was a friend who for lack of a better word is a "producer" in the local games, yet he knew a good investment when he saw it. You would be surprised - if you really have what it takes that is.

Good luck, and please post a trip report. As stated earlier this is a huge step in the progression of a poker player, something you will want to archive.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM

grand i will be there this weekend possibly playing the 75 if the game looks good.. introduce yourself, most of the 20/40 guys know who I am.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grand i will be there this weekend possibly playing the 75 if the game looks good.. introduce yourself, most of the 20/40 guys know who I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks, but I won't be making it this weekend. I've got a room booked up in late March during the WPT, but I'm also hoping to get down there on a Saturday sometime in the next 2-3 weeks or so and take my shot at 75/150