Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Is not believing in gay rights biggoted?

If you let gays marry each other, pretty soon people are gonna want to marry their petz and stuff, yo!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you support gay marriages then do you also support polygamy? I don't see how you can support one but not the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

One is giving a segment of society the same rights as everyone else. The other is illegal for all members of society.

[/ QUOTE ]

The claim is clearly that the "segment of society" that is homosexual should be equal to the "segment of society" that practices polygamy.

[/ QUOTE ]
What segment of American society legally practices polygamy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is less of the point. We're getting into the area where we need to move this to politics, where OP cross-posted. Putting aside "choice vs. born that way", whereas polygamy is a choice and homosexuality is not, what is to say that two consenting adults, be they of the same sex or not, should be the only legally recognized relationship?

If we take this logic, the argument about "homosexuals are a segment of the population deserving of equal rights, polygamists are not" makes no sense really.

Its late and I'm probably not making much sense, I'll try to clarify if I need to. I'm really just playing devil's advocate here, anyways.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many openly gay posters are there on 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo. I don't really post much though.

I've wondered about this myself, although I'd expect the number to be a much smaller percentage than the national average. Poker and posting on message boards doesn't really fit the gay stereotype.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 AM

If you aren't gay, why the [censored] would you ever discuss this with your mother?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if I disagree with you I'm a bigot...that's open minded.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not what I said at all. Bigotry is an unreasonable, unwavering belief in the superiority of one's opinions or beliefs over another's.

There's no foundation for the family values argument. Furthermore, there are plenty of straight couples that don't live up to the expectations of people like OP's mother. What about them? Should they not be allowed to have children? Do they need to go to counseling?

Disagreeing with me doesn't make someone a bigot. It just makes them different from me. Believing that they're better than someone else, for no reason at all, does make them a bigot.

I try to look for the ultimate emotion behind a person's arguments and opinions. So far, every argument I've heard against gay rights is based on fear. I'd be really interested to hear one based on compassion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I disagree with you on this issue,but I respect your obviously well thought out opinion. That is all.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't gay, why the [censored] would you ever discuss this with your mother?

[/ QUOTE ]

As an example of why i dont subscribe to the Christian worldview...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would support a civil union but not gay marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. This always cracks me up.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you support gay marriages then do you also support polygamy? I don't see how you can support one but not the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

One is giving a segment of society the same rights as everyone else. The other is illegal for all members of society.

[/ QUOTE ]

The claim is clearly that the "segment of society" that is homosexual should be equal to the "segment of society" that practices polygamy.

[/ QUOTE ]
What segment of American society legally practices polygamy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is less of the point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's the key point. Homosexuals are discriminated against. Polygamists aren't.

I haven't thought too much about polygamy, to tell you the truth. I don't really see it being illegal as an injustice, because its legality is applied to everyone. Marriage, on the other hand, is granted (along with lots of accompanying benefits) to one group of people but not another. I find that wrong.

edit: I'm also not saying I think polygamy should in fact be illegal. Just saying I haven't thought through the issue enough at this point
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that's not only closed-minded, that's also completely inaccurate.

Lots of Christians have no problem whatsoever with gay marriage. The question you were asked probably had to do with you bringing up something you knew would antagonize your mother intentionally, then sealing it all off by calling her a bigot. That is, unless you had no idea where she stood on this topic.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that's not only closed-minded, that's also completely inaccurate.

Lots of Christians have no problem whatsoever with gay marriage. The question you were asked probably had to do with you bringing up something you knew would antagonize your mother intentionally, then sealing it all off by calling her a bigot. That is, unless you had no idea where she stood on this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible as well as most churches do not look favorably on homosexuality and gay rights. While this is not true for all churches, it is definately true for most ie focus on the family, is it not???
Closed Thread