Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: I have a straight flush....but what am I beating??

wow amazing fold great job
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river's great, but I think you really messed up flop + turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv the river is the most interesting, but I was thinking about the flop and turn, too.

What do you think would have been better?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"So I asked him "do you have the Ace"? knowing he may have it but he doesn't have the J (my read at the table) and I shove with air because now he thinks I have the nut straight flush and I know he is a thinking player"

Obviously this didn't happen ... awesome fold ... but it MUST happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, I agree that if we are folding a str8 flush here, it would seem to be +EV for this speech and move with ATC. But if you spend your time trying to get unknowns to lay down the Ah or 6h on this board by jamming, you will be broke as a joke. Very few players are gonna lay it down. I see here in written format it's the right laydown. At the table? I hope I would, but I don't know for certain. Soss is obviously a very strong player, and was able to make the correct play.

A huge factor is assigning meaning to actions. The read was an old nit. From an old nit, this speech is the nuts. If Soss is villain here, you can start to think about another level. Same with any tell, really. What does it mean from that person? In my tourney league there are players that have the nuts when they shake their head and call. There are players that have basically nothing when they do the exact same thing. Recognizing and reacting to this is what makes winning players winners.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv the river is the most interesting, but I was thinking about the flop and turn, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to lead the flop with 1/2-2/3 pot. If he has a hand, he will want to protect it, and raise. If he has a big heart, he's coming along.

Depending on image/opp, a check/raise on the flop can look like a naked Ah and induce a call, but against old nits I don't like it since they get scared and make big laydowns.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how nitty is he? Unless he's nitty enough to fold the exclusively black part of his PF range, then raising the flop is the way ahead. Especially if he's not leading black AK/AQ ever.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just how nitty is he? Unless he's nitty enough to fold the exclusively black part of his PF range, then raising the flop is the way ahead. Especially if he's not leading black AK/AQ ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not leading into 4 callers with black AK/AQ. I'm guessing he is leading here w/ AK/AQ w/ K or Q of hearts, all overpairs or set.

The reason I went for the checkraise was that it's a flop that could easily have hit a lot of people and I didn't want to shut out someone behind him drawing to the Kh. Hell, you will see people peel one off w/ just a jack trying to hit the st8 if it's just the preflop raiser "obviously" doing a cbet w/ AK.

I felt that he was going to lead with the bulk of his range, so trapping some dead money in there before making a nice sized reraise would have been good.

Given that nobody hit anything, I thought that raising would let him off too easily on the turn if a black duece came off and he wanted to make a big bet to protect his overpair.

I guess I could have called the flop and led the turn.

I'm open for suggestions.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM

OK. Get the flop play. I don't play that much live so I'm not going to advise on muiltway pots. I'd raise because I think raising reps the naked ace better and, given his flop lead, I think the vlaue here is in for playing for stacks with OR and not worrying too much about the others in the pot.

Now we have his flop range, we should lead the turn, no? He's not folding and there's no guarantee, if he's nitty, he's calling a push or that he's betting in the first place (I'd expect to do both with that range more often than not but). He's not folding to any flop bet and he raises somewhat more than never.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM

Sorry if I missed someone putting it this way, but this is exactly the same as folding K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to a shove on a T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board.

Weird but your straight flush is a bluff catcher!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yet everyone is perfectly fine with leading the river.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yet everyone is perfectly fine with leading the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bluff catcher ONCE he shoves. Are you not value betting KhQh in LFTV's example first to act?