Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Laptop contest. Pick my laptop, win $25

i expect a lot of people who recommend dell's do so because they've never really used any other laptops. dells are really horrible laptops to use on a regular basis, especially if you're using them as portables and not just desktop replacements. they are effective from a raw performance/price perspective, but they are poorly designed and generally assembled from subpar components.

i would seriously suggest you visit somewhere like best buy and actually get your hands on any laptop you are considering purchasing. ergnomics are vitally important with laptops. if you can't use the keyboard/trackpad without your wrists cramping you are not going to be very satisfied with your laptop. dell's are, by far, the most uncomfortable laptops i've ever used (this will not be true for everyone, and may not be true for you).

i've owned seven laptops in the last three years, including two dells. i would never recommend a dell to anyone. i'd suggest you check out acer or toshiba. apple may also be a fit.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

"TomHimself is also eligible for some form of a prize yet to be determined."

o rly? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Make sure you use the 30% coupons:

Codes can be found:

Front page of www.gotapex.com
http://techbargains.com
www.slickdeals.net
Old 07-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Not sure if you have seen this:

Thanks to a huge $565 instant discount, you can get this full featured desktop replacement notebook with a huge 17" screen for all of your work for just $849! This configuration is actually giving you more than before at a lower price! It comes with a faster Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2250 1.73GHz processor, a huge big upgrade to 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM, a bigger 100GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability, Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card, and Windows XP!

* Start here through the following link to Dell Small Business offers. DELL SMALL BUSINESS INSPIRON 9400 NOTEBOOK DEAL http://deals.gotapex.com/?17HBBZSO

* Click on Notebook Deals
* Click on Customize It under Inspiron 9400 $849
Old 07-16-2006, 11:00 PM

when you get your ram in the laptop, make sure it only takes up one slot and that you leave one slot free. then buy another stick of ram from a site like newegg.
the 2nd slot on dell laptops (at least on my inspiron) are really easy to use. i assume these newer models are similar.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tagtastic: PC or mac laptop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a PC laptop. I'm typing this on an IBM Thinkpad T42.

Thinkpads are generally great, highest build quality in the industry, excellent keyboards, trackpoints beat trackpads hands down, and the T series in extremely well designed from a thickness & weights vs. performance perspective. There's a 1600x1200 option available on the T series as well, at a premium (both cost and a slight size/weight increase).

I have nothing against Apple laptops, in fact (with a few notable exceptions) their build quality is very good. And the new ones, using intel, are very good performers - and can run windows or macOS.

Most other manufacturers are very hit or miss. Acer, Toshiba, Asus - they make generally good laptops, but sometimes certain models have some major problem like excessive heat.

However, all the good brands will cost a premium over the likes of Dell - especially if you buy during one of Dell's very common crazy coupon deals. In many respects however, you get what you pay for.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i expect a lot of people who recommend dell's do so because they've never really used any other laptops.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding
Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i expect a lot of people who recommend dell's do so because they've never really used any other laptops.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard a lot about Dells going downhill over the years. I bought an Inspiron 7000 before college in 1999 and it was great to me. I still have it. It had a problem with the power intake at one point (after I dropped it) and they repaired it quickly & for free.

I know I can get a more reliable, better laptop with similar features for more money. Unfortunately I don't have much money. I originally intended to spend about half what I ended up spending but decided that this would probably be my computer during grad school, so best to get a little more punch.

Thanks for the info

NT