Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Why 3bet?

We'll make it easy and say he's unknown and assume he's an average 50NL TAG.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you have AJo on the button and you make a standard 2xBB open PFR. SB folds and TAG Villain (we'll say 18/16) 3bets you in the BB for 7xBBs. What do you usually do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about a min raise? I never min raise, and I would expect a more aggressive villain in the blinds to 3bet with anything decent if I did min raise/steal from the button. And FWIW, if Villain is loose in your situation I would call with position.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We'll make it easy and say he's unknown and assume he's an average 50NL TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally fold the first time and call or 4bet the second time, because the first time can just be a nit raising his aces or whatever, but the second time is probably an indication of raising light.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you have AJo on the button and you make a standard 2xBB open PFR. SB folds and TAG Villain (we'll say 18/16) 3bets you in the BB for 7xBBs. What do you usually do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about a min raise? I never min raise, and I would expect a more aggressive villain in the blinds to 3bet with anything decent if I did min raise/steal from the button. And FWIW, if Villain is loose in your situation I would call with position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I think I wrote the scenario incorrectly. By 2xBB, I think I meant 4xBB ($2), and by 7xBB, I meant 14xBB ($7).
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM

I agree with Thac here. Against some villains I 3bet AJo or even worse and are willing to put my stack in when I hit. Sometimes when I 3bet with stuff like AJ I am like "No ace no ace" so in those spots I would probably been much better off not 3betting. I like to 3bet with stuff that I donīt mind getting it in vs this player on good flops or stuff like 84o that probably wonīt get me into much trouble post-flop.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I think I wrote the scenario incorrectly. By 2xBB, I think I meant 4xBB ($2), and by 7xBB, I meant 14xBB ($7).

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that, just wanted to clarify, that may just be my rookie misunderstanding of forum lingo. Anyway, with no reads I would probably fold to the 3-bet, but keep an eye on similar type play from Villain. Loose and/or passive post flop or 3bets like this more than once or twice in a session, and I definitely look him up.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Assume he 3bets fairly often and you're not going to fold. Do you call, 4bet (if so, how much), or shove? If you call and miss the flop, what's your play? If flop is Axx and he leads, what's your play?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume he 3bets fairly often and you're not going to fold. Do you call, 4bet (if so, how much), or shove? If you call and miss the flop, what's your play? If flop is Axx and he leads, what's your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why AJ sucks in a re-raised pot pretty much always. You have no idea what to do. I'll comment after lunch, I gotta go.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why AJ sucks in a re-raised pot pretty much always. You have no idea what to do. I'll comment after lunch, I gotta go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, like a poster above said, sometimes when he 3-bets AJo he's saying "no ace, no ace". Also, I'd do the same thing saying "no jack, no jack". Basically, you never know where you're at in the hand and if you get played back at you're in a big pot with no idea where you are (probably crushed). If BTN even calls the 3-bet preflop with AT, he's probably not going all the way with it - but more often than not you're up against AQ or AK. If the flop comes J9x, and he's trying to get all-in, are you going to? You'll probably run up against QQ.

The RIO of AJo in a 3-bet pot is horrible, I don't know how TAGs play at nl50, but I don't think they call 3-bets very wide, so I don't think a c-bet will work all that often like you guys are saying it will.

This is why I said that 3-betting AJo is basically a bluff.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM

The point of my scenario/example was to put you in the position of playing AJo as the blind-stealer facing a 3bet. Your mentality is "[censored], what do I do now?" This is exactly why we 3bet with AJo and lesser hands. Even with a fairly strong button hand like AJo, your opponent is put into a really tough spot with all but the very best hands (AK, AA, KK, and maybe a couple others). Most opponents fold because they don't know what to do. Those that are more willing to call with hands like AJo are lost on most flops and fold to a cbet.