Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 02:29 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Soccer: How about owning your own club?

im pretty sure theyre just limiting input to which players play and what formation they play. In game strategy will be done by the head coach.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:43 PM

for the soccer team in question if they just limit it to line-up and formation there's a chance they won't screw it up too badly. There's only so many different combos you can do and I'm not entirely convinced that a good soccer team is going to suddenly become lousy just by switching some guy to midfield or something.

Then again, I took over coaching my rec-league team and switched our formation and line-ups to what I thought would work better (including bolstering our defense) and we went from 1-9-0 to 4-2-4 with mostly the same players.

Somebody mentioned that Bill Veeck did something similar to this once and I believe that is correct.
Either the Browns or the White Sox when he was there. The fans were holding up signs that said 'bunt' or whatever. Not sure how that worked though and it was almost certainly more gimmicky than it was serious.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM

From a different article on ESPN.com about the fans making decisions for that minor-league team:

"The idea of having fans actually vote on game decisions isn't a new one. In 1951, promotional wizard Bill Veeck dreamed up Grandstand Managers' Day for a game between the Philadelphia Athletics and his St. Louis Browns. "

Old 07-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Evidently this promotion has been bouncing around with a few other teams too. Article I saw about the Brockton (MA) Rox of the Can-Am League who are partly owned by Bill Veeck's son.

"So, who are these Rox? For one, they are a club well-known for its creative game day promotions, thanks to the help of famous baseball promoter Mike Veeck. Those promotions include: “Grandstand Managers Afternoon,” an old promotion of former White Sox owner and Chicago icon Bill Veeck. In the promotion, the Rox staff asks questions usings the stadium scoreboard throughout the contest, to which fans then manage the game by holding up “Yes” or “No” signs."
Old 07-24-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then again, I took over coaching my rec-league team and switched our formation and line-ups to what I thought would work better (including bolstering our defense) and we went from 1-9-0 to 4-2-4 with mostly the same players.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 midfielders? Was Steve Sampson your coach?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:03 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing. now im thinking he might be talking about their record pre and post switch. either way it seems kind of strange.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing. now im thinking he might be talking about their record pre and post switch. either way it seems kind of strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has the be the teams record, not sure why that would be strange
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM

Forgive me because I don't follow much European soccer... but $3.6 million seems like an extremely small amount to buy a team. How much is a lower level team usually worth?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it has the be the teams record, not sure why that would be strange

[/ QUOTE ]

well he picked a x-x-x formatted number that added up to 10 both times. Since this is the standard way one writes a formation and he is using it to write a record it is a bit confusing.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:11 PM

Yes, I was referring to our vastly improved record due partly, I like to think, to some of the changes I implemented.

No, we did not have 9 freaking midfielders with 0 defenders!! Sorry for the confusion.
Although after some of our 6-0 losses the season before we half-jokingly discussed just putting everyone on D in a 0-0-10 formation.

Anyway, to go from 9 losses (and we were 3-28-1 in our 3 previous seasons combined) to only 2 losses was a borderline miracle.

It wasn't just the formation switch but also putting the right players in the right positions as well as our overall substitution-rotation (unlimited subs in this league).

Also stuff like in-game adjustments like pulling an extra guy back on D if the other team had crazy momentum and our defense was tired and we were barely hanging on to our 1-goal lead or tie-score.

I really don't know how much of this adjustment stuff happens in 'real' soccer though as I simply don't follow the game that much.
I was really just guessing a lot of the time with my team and think we really lucked-out to do so well.