Old 07-22-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: beat: David Beckham

this has to be photoshopped
Old 07-22-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this has to be photoshopped

[/ QUOTE ]

She is probably just stepping down and transitioning all of her weight onto that foot. Her leg is absorbing all the weight and the camera caught it at the perfect millisecond.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Did you go to the game for the game or Beckham? It seems the latter because if you were a fan of the game you would knew Beckham never did any fancy except for kicking that Argentinian dude.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

baseball, for instance, is pretty big in latin america, but soccer will always be bigger because soccer is more accessable (less expensive) for most of the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't true. there are some latin american countries that are very poor, where soccer is not popular and baseball is extremely popular (cuba, dominican republic, and to a less extent venezuela). and the latin american countries that are crazy for soccer are places like brazil, argentina and chile, where baseball is non-existent and they are more affluent than the first set of countries.

basically, which sport is more popular has little to do with economics and a lot to do with culture. there are countries where baseball is very popular and soccer is less popular (usa, canada, japan). there are countries where soccer is very popular and baseball is non-existent (europe, south america except for venezuela & nicaragua). and there are countries where both are popular (mexico, south korea).

/serious business
Old 07-22-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

baseball, for instance, is pretty big in latin america, but soccer will always be bigger because soccer is more accessable (less expensive) for most of the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't true. there are some latin american countries that are very poor, where soccer is not popular and baseball is extremely popular (cuba, dominican republic, and to a less extent venezuela). and the latin american countries that are crazy for soccer are places like brazil, argentina and chile, where baseball is non-existent and they are more affluent than the first set of countries.

basically, which sport is more popular has little to do with economics and a lot to do with culture. there are countries where baseball is very popular and soccer is less popular (usa, canada, japan). there are countries where soccer is very popular and baseball is non-existent (europe, south america except for venezuela & nicaragua). and there are countries where both are popular (mexico, south korea).

/serious business

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i got owned pretty hard

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 05:53 PM

I think the reasons soccer is so popular is because:

1. It's cheap - All it requires is a ball and two makeshift goals.
2. The basic rules are very simple and can be picked up on instantly.

Compare to games like baseball and football where everyone needs their own gear (usually much more expensive), and the rules are much more complicated. Kids who live in poorer communities/countries are gonna pick up on soccer because, it's easier to. I'm not saying soccer is inferior, I'm just giving what seem like logical reasons of why it's so much more international than other sports.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's old, washed up and is not "the best ever" as they like to label him

neeeext

ps huge discussion on this in the sporting events forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one person who likes to label beckham the best ever thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you go to the game for the game or Beckham? It seems the latter because if you were a fan of the game you would knew Beckham never did any fancy except for kicking that Argentinian dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

GTFOH (and I don't hold him in high regard particularly, but this is just so wrong).
Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GTFOH (and I don't hold him in high regard particularly, but this is just so wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, i didn't mean Beckham is a bad player. He's a great winger, one of the best on his position and probably still is because of his kick. I'm just saying he's not pulling off any fancy stuff like C. Ronaldo for instance. So if OP is a football fan he should've known that at least.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, i didn't mean Beckham is a bad player. He's a great winger, one of the best on his position and probably still is because of his kick. I'm just saying he's not pulling off any fancy stuff like C. Ronaldo for instance. So if OP is a football fan he should've known that at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, from the sounds of it, op was expecting some ronaldinho [censored] or something and that's not what beckham was about.