Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Players you like on teams you hate

Cub-hating White Sox fan, but I liked Dawson and Grace growing up. I always really respect Brett Favre for what he's accomplished throughout his career as well.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Demeco Ryans (when he was at Alabama)
Tom Brady (NE Patriots)
Michael Strahan (NYG)
Albert Pujols (St.L Cards)
Jason Allen (Miami Dolphins)
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 AM

I don't really hate Seattle, but Ichiro is on the top of my list of "favorite non-Yankee players"
Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thierry Henry (French National Soccer) would be much better
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM

Tough question.

One current one would be David Wright. He's almost making me tolerate the Mets.

Nolan on the Rangers led me to feel conflicted, since I always rooted for the M's against them. Unless he was pitching, of course.

I wouldn't say I hated Golden State necessarily, but I was a big Chris Mullin fan, but a big Sonics fan as well.

Marvin Harrison is a good football one.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do all you Mets fans hate the Yankees? I am a lifelong Yankee fan and love baseball more than any other sport, but I definitely do not hate the Mets. In 2000 I was rooting hard for the Mets to make it to the World Series and I will be doing the same this year. Obviously I want to beat them once we're there, but unless they're playing the Yankees I'm either rooting for the Mets or indifferent toward them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're too young to remember 1986. If you had a rooting interest then, chances are you'd hate the Mets.

But it's the same principle as to why the Yankees and Sox hate each other more than other opponents. Because they are close together in location, the fans see each other a lot, and everyone talks smack. Theoretically, since they are both in the Northeast, Yankees and Sox fans should hate the other team less than, say, the Blue Jays.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Big Cubs fan and Whitesox hater. But Frank Thomas is one of my favorite all time players.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're too young to remember 1986. If you had a rooting interest then, chances are you'd hate the Mets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I was 1 in 1986.

[ QUOTE ]
But it's the same principle as to why the Yankees and Sox hate each other more than other opponents. Because they are close together in location, the fans see each other a lot, and everyone talks smack. Theoretically, since they are both in the Northeast, Yankees and Sox fans should hate the other team less than, say, the Blue Jays.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely false. The Yankees and Sox are competing in the same division. The Yankees and Mets are in completely different leagues and until interleague play started a couple years ago they only played each other in the Mayor's Trophy game in spring training. I absolutely despise the Red Sox and almost everything about Boston/New England. I don't feel nearly that way about the Mets because we never play them. The two are not the same at all.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM

I don't really hate any teams anymore, but I root against the Red Sox and I'd name Ortiz and Pedro, when he was here.

Historically, back when I hated teams, I liked:

Scotty Pippen (part of my MJ-hate)
Kobe Bryant (during the early Shaq era)
Emmitt Smith
Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely false. The Yankees and Sox are competing in the same division. The Yankees and Mets are in completely different leagues and until interleague play started a couple years ago they only played each other in the Mayor's Trophy game in spring training. I absolutely despise the Red Sox and almost everything about Boston/New England. I don't feel nearly that way about the Mets because we never play them. The two are not the same at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate Boston more than Toronto? Boston/New England is more similar to New York than any other city.

Perhaps it's the laid-back Canadianness. Getting away from that, if there were an LA team in the same division (not too much of a reach, since everyone competes for the wildcard now), do you think there would as many L.A. haters due to Hollywood culture clash?