Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Antigua Files for Remedies- $3.4 billion per year in intellectual

[ QUOTE ]
say antigua gets what it wants. will 3 billion worth of pirated stuff hurt usa businesses--such as the music and movie industry--enough that they will get on the horn with the government to work on a resolution? i sure hope so.

[/ QUOTE ]

They value their IP rights greatly....it goes well beyond the dollar amounts. These guys will be quite angry over it if it happens.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM

As a matter of fact today Paulson has warned Congress about economic isolationism and it's negative effects as we try and solve the problem with the Chineese and it's valuation of it's currency.

This isn't a one way street where the U.S. can just close it's borders and block everyone out.

Further we need the help of other nations (through various international bodies) to help back us in our (multiple) fights against China at the moment.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:31 PM

Like I have said before, there is a middle ground here if the US would just come to the table in good faith. All concerns could be addressed and this matter could be settled to ALMOST everyone's satisfaction.

Part of the problem has been throughout this process, the USTR's office has not been doing their job. Once the US loses a case, the USTR is supposed to advocate for the WTO's position with Congress. Instead they have acted like just another political wing of the administration.

Hopefully some phones will start ringing next week when this news trickles down to the affected parties.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Russ,

What you and gildwulf fail to understand is this is not about having the US pay money directly. Antiqua is asking for copyright/trademark suspension. This is very different.

The ramifications are not just a simple "ignore and this will go away". Instead this will cost US businesses a large amount of money. One fine example is allofmp3.com. This company sells mp3s for 10cents a song vs a buck for same song at itunes. Antiqua sets up a "mp3 farm" with the WTO's blessing and visa/mastercard will be right there as well. Visa/Mastercard pulled out of allofmp3.com due to pressure from other countries. However with Antiqua having WTO support, visa/mastercard can justify their presence.

Another example is "movies". Pay to download Movies for 1 buck. How many businesses would this hurt? How about purchasing adobe CS 3 (2007) version for $10 instead of $800?

Also, how about Sql server 2005 which Microsoft sells to businesses for 25k+. I am a small business owner with 50 employees and I notice this ad on yahoo by Antiqua based company selling Sql server 2005 for $120 and its legal...hmm..now will I buy $120 version or call Microsoft...

I do not think many of you understand how much money this would cost US businesses. Anything that is protected via US or international copyright becomes fair game in Antiqua and it will have the WTO blessing. This is much larger than many of you realize.

cheers
Boon
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Good find:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1182...googlenews_wsj

"As the world opens its doors, we must resist the sentiment that favors economic isolationism; this is not the time to retreat from the principles which have made America so strong and competitive," Mr. Paulson said.

Mr. Paulson's message favoring integration over isolationism comes as a number of bills are simmering in Congress that would penalize Chinese imports in retaliation for Beijing's policy of limiting appreciation of its currency. Some members of Congress have expressed anger that the Treasury Department refrained from citing China for manipulating the yuan in its latest report to Congress on foreign exchange.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Agree. Also, as for the EU, agriculture will be affected. The Iowa Farm Bureau is sponsoring an upcoming presidential debate. I wonder if they'll be interested in asking questions about this.

Anyone here have contacts in Iowa?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM

I know very well what it could cost US businesses. So let's assume that all this comes to pass.

Microsoft complains to Congress. Congress tells the WTO that if they don't immediately reverse this decision, the US will withdraw from the WTO, and impose trade sanctions on any country(ies) that allows intellectual property of Americans to be counterfeited/copied. I submit this is much more likely to happen if such sanctions ever took place.

What do I think will really happen? The WTO will be pressured by the US to accept token payments (forget the billions being stated today; it will be millions at most), and the WTO will agree that gambling isn't covered under GATT/WTO for the US (that it was a "typographical error").

Both sides on this will, in the end, compromise. This isn't what Jay Cohen wants to see as the resolution, but this is much, much more likely than billions being paid or intellectual property being copied. Both sides compromised after 30 years in the tax dispute. I see something similar happening here (but hopefully a lot faster than 30 years).

-- Russ
Old 06-20-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Both sides on this will, in the end, compromise. This isn't what Jay Cohen wants to see as the resolution, but this is much, much more likely than billions being paid or intellectual property being copied. Both sides compromised after 30 years in the tax dispute. I see something similar happening here (but hopefully a lot faster than 30 years).

-- Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm see my post above. I have always said there is a middle ground here.

I have to agree with Owl, the U.S. will never leave to WTO, we use it as much as anyone else.

RE Byrd Amendment:

However, the last congress (2006) repealed the Byrd Amendment.

http://www.usmission.ch/Press2006/0202ByrdRepeal.html

So, yes, congress will at times respect the WTO.
The only question is will they this time or simply let Antigua do as it may and work out a deal punishing some U.S. company in dealings with the E.U. to protect the moralist religious right and far left who want to manage my/ your / our life in detail.

It did however take SIX YEARS before congress accepted the WTO and I guess was tired of the 72% penalty.

http://www.caltradereport.com/eWebPa...094251285.html

obg

[ QUOTE ]
Good find:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1182...googlenews_wsj

"As the world opens its doors, we must resist the sentiment that favors economic isolationism; this is not the time to retreat from the principles which have made America so strong and competitive," Mr. Paulson said.

Mr. Paulson's message favoring integration over isolationism comes as a number of bills are simmering in Congress that would penalize Chinese imports in retaliation for Beijing's policy of limiting appreciation of its currency. Some members of Congress have expressed anger that the Treasury Department refrained from citing China for manipulating the yuan in its latest report to Congress on foreign exchange.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read a number of Paulson's speeches and writings prior to writing to him. Yes, he's a big free trader. I think we have hope there.