Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: michael irvin < or > or = michael richards

Prodigy,

Maybe racism isn't as serious to you as it is to others because your race hasn't been enslaved. Many times, double standards exist for a good reason.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:08 PM

Can you guys stop comparing Irvin to Richards... its liek comparing apples to oranges.

Compare what Irvin said to Limbaugh

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe racism isn't as serious to you as it is to others because your race hasn't been enslaved. Many times, double standards exist for a good reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude a lot of people have been enslaved, murdered, raped wiped out over the course of history.

Slavery was over long time ago, time to move on.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prodigy,

[/ QUOTE ]

think again, my race has been enslaved.

nearly all races have been enslaved...

but I am only myself, I am not my ancestors, Should I hold the descendants of my ancestor's oppressors responsible?

....I have not been enslaved, and neither have most black people
Old 11-26-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Setting has to come into play here, right? A comedian making the same Romo joke (or the contrasting "VIck must be half white" joke) would be acceptable in a comedy club, but not saying it in a national forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

white people stereotype a lot more than blacks in my experience. In fact people actually believe black stereotypes as if they were fact almost everywhere, even many blacks.

irving made a bad joke about a stereotype thats all, if kramer had done that during his act noone would have flipped. Yes Irving was on a "national forum" but he is there because he is a funny ex-player. He isnt delivering a state of the union address. this thread is ridiculous at best.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Prodigy,

What are you, Jewish? Do you live in Egypt?

Obviously there's a difference when you live among those that enslaved your people. If your race has been systematically oppressed and legally discriminated against, and you live in the place it happened, then yes, I'll understand being more sensitive to racist comments directed your way.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll understand being more sensitive to racist comments directed your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

No has a problem with people being sensitive towards racist comments... However, if you expect people not use them towards your race, you yourself must not use them towards other races.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prodigy,

What are you, Jewish? Do you live in Egypt?

Obviously there's a difference when you live among those that enslaved your people. If your race has been systematically oppressed and legally discriminated against, and you live in the place it happened, then yes, I'll understand being more sensitive to racist comments directed your way.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously there's a difference when you live among those that enslaved your people.

[/ QUOTE ]

black people don't live among those who enslaved their people

I DID NOT enslave anyone

If my own grandmother was enslaved by some guy...and I met that guy's own grandson, I would not have any problem with him.

I would have a problem with the guy that enslaved my grandmother...but I would have a problem with him if he enslaved ANYONE, not just my own ancestor

if a race is enslaved, it should be a sensitive issue for ALL people, not just people of that race
Old 11-26-2006, 04:51 PM

All,

BD and others saying double standards exist is of course correct. If someone high-profile were to say "Somewhere along the line, one of Donovan McNabb's great-grandmas must have spent some time in the big house getting down with the plantation owner, no way he'd be able to keep all those plays straight without some white brain genes in him!" it would probably be a big story. To be honest, I find Irvin's statement hilarious, and the statement above could be either amusing or offensive based on delivery. And I would say what Irvin said, but I wouldn't make the statement above. So, yeah, I definitely have double standards on this stuff, too.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prodigy,

[/ QUOTE ]

RDH, I think some of my Irish ancestors were raped, ravaged, and used for "general gain" by some Viking. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
michael irvin &lt; or &gt; or = michael richards

[/ QUOTE ]

Irvin was joking, .

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he was "joking" doesnt mean what he said was any better than what Richards said.

[/ QUOTE ]

As said in the Richards thread, what was bad about Richards was that he maliciously used racial epithets. In contrast, Irvin told a bad joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets not compare this to Richards... lets compare this to Rush Limbaugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a better comparison would be to Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder or Al Campanis.