Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Decisions to join or not join the military

Five-Star,
Retired O-6 daddy pushed me to apply for an NROTC scholarship, I tried it out, and here I am! I think that the officer side of the coin isn't bad.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM

MuresanForMVP

What branch did you sign up for? I'm guessing some sort of SpecOps path?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Always have been accustomed to fighting throughout my life. Decided I wanted to be a real life, no [censored] warrior. Seriously, men watch 300 and think to themselves "man that would be cool to be a Spartan". As far as I'm concerned, I chose to live as one the moment I signed my contract. Or to paraphrase Capt. Nathaniel Fick from One Bullet Away: "I wanted to do something so badass that noone could ever [censored] with me." Physical conflict is always what it breaks down to, and conquering someone in a fight or war is the ultimate adrenaline rush, 1000 times the feeling you get from "love" or sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, hoping its a quote from a movie or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting post (the original quoted one) in that I think it touches on an aspect of human nature that we have been conditioned to fear, hate and push away. It comes from the very essence of survival. The feeling that you have fought against and lived through something. To me, that is the essence of life, personified in a most brutal concept (armed conflict). We like to think that Life is being happy, working together in peace, but we are allowed such ideas only because real conflict has been minimized through thousands of years of technological evolution giving us moment to pause and 'enlighten' ourselves to higher states of consciousness and social interaction. If you look around you, at all life on this planet, the true crux of life is the fight to live.

We should do anything we can to stay away from conflict, but the barbaric perception many have towards the "lust for battle" is exaggerated. I think everybody wants to be a Warrior in some way or another.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting post (the original quoted one) in that I think it touches on an aspect of human nature that we have been conditioned to fear, hate and push away. It comes from the very essence of survival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay general vague statements, ill accept your reasoning without proof.

[ QUOTE ]
The feeling that you have fought against and lived through something. To me, that is the essence of life, personified in a most brutal concept (armed conflict).

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this was the case back when people were fighting with spear and shields. But I dont see how this still applies when you arent even sure who your killing.

[ QUOTE ]
We like to think that Life is being happy, working together in peace, but we are allowed such ideas only because real conflict has been minimized through thousands of years of technological evolution giving us moment to pause and 'enlighten' ourselves to higher states of consciousness and social interaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

More general statmnts, however if you are in "dire" need to see some real conflict I can help you out.
[ QUOTE ]

We should do anything we can to stay away from conflict, but the barbaric perception many have towards the "lust for battle" is exaggerated. I think everybody wants to be a Warrior in some way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part that I dont get the most. For all the people that want to be "warriors" why join the army. You will be in a organization that is much better equipped and run, its almost like adults fighting kids.

If you want to be a warrior why not just go into MMA where everyone is trained and you can real "show your stuff", i dont see how killing people who are throwing rocks at you is
feeling like a warrior.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Shadowrun- I don't expect you to understand, which is fine, I just think somewhat differently than most. And to think that guys who fight in a ring, with gloves and a ref are "warriors" then you're dead wrong in my opinion. "Throwing rocks" at you? You seriously understand the innovation and brutality of the insurgency.

http://www.enemyforces.com/firearms/ak47.jpg

http://www.voininatangra.org/modules...4/Dragunov.jpg

http://www.bf2benelux.com/page/bf2sf/wapens/rpg.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d-cutout01.jpg

Do those look like stones to you? They sure don't to me.

Thug Bubbles-USMC. I went to all different recruiters. You can sign up for the Navy on a SEAL track from the get go (which I did qualify for with PFT score and ASVAB score). The Army (qualified for that also) can also put you on the track to Special Forces, and even though Marine recruiters say that you can get 0321 (the MOS for Reconaissance Man), you don't sign a contract for it, you have to earn it the hard way (usually after seeing combat). But yes, in a perfect world I'd like to be attached to a MSOG (Marine Special Operations Group), or Recon battalion.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:29 PM

Okay, MVP lets talk about 300, they were killing people with their own hands, outnumbered and out gunned right?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Sweet jesus. Proof? Come on! When talking about human nature I'd assume it was a given that we're just offering opinions. It's such a nebulous concept it'd be arrogant to think otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this was the case back when people were fighting with spear and shields. But I dont see how this still applies when you arent even sure who your killing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You rag me about general statements on philosophical notions and now you bust out a general statement about ACTUAL EXPERIENCES? What basis do you have to say that 'you arent even sure who your killing'? Have you been in combat? Your bolding of "brutal" is odd, because I assume you don't mean that current combat is not brutal.

Tell me, if I picked up arms and fought for the Tutsis in the Rwandan Geonice would I need a spear and shield to feel like i'm helping in the fight to survive? Do I need such tools to feel a sense of purpose? I can tell you such was a situation where it's clear who you're fighting: the group of maniacs raping and slaughtering women and children with machetes. Fighting against that is what makes a warrior, IMO, and it would certainly be the kind of person I would not mind being.

[ QUOTE ]
More general statmnts, however if you are in "dire" need to see some real conflict I can help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please try not to read into my statements and assume the worst. All I meant was that life at it's essence, from insects battling torrential rain, impala's running from a lioness, and leaves of a plant fighting against other plants for limited sunlight, all base their living from the fight to survive. Of course it's because they must, and of course we are blessed in exploring the wonders of the world, the human mind, art and history all free (generally) from what our ancestors had to deal with. I'm not saying that the MEANING of life is to pick up a club and kick barbarian ass, I'm just pointing out how it's not necessarily barbaric to want to be a Warrior and look back on full experiences in which you 'earned' the right to live.

This may hinge on the definition of a warrior, but I don't believe that training soley to win a fight in a cage is a warrior. Not even close. A Warrior, to me, is somebody who trains their body and mind to fight for a cause. To be willing to lay down their life for that cause. It may be as acute as pulling your buddy from incomming fire, or as broad as fighting against a Genocidal maniac in Sudan. The idea remains constant in all cases.

EDIT:

Also, I made no mention of joining the army as an only route to accomplish this.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM

SO your telling me the reason my grandfather was shot in the leg (didnt even know which guy did it- that IS war) is because he wanted to feel like a warrior, no it is because he was conscripted and that is who you might be fighting against. Really "warrior" there right?

BTW none of my friends/family who have joined did it to be a "warrior" which is seriously the most dumbass reason i have ever heard, and one i can not help but to think is rooted in
immaturity.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:50 PM

"A bullet from a 14 yr old is just as effective as a bullet from a 40 yr old" - Lord of War (since we love learning from movies in this thread)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SO your telling me the reason my grandfather was shot in the leg (didnt even know which guy did it- that IS war) is because he wanted to feel like a warrior, no it is because he was conscripted and that is who you might be fighting against. Really "warrior" there right?

BTW none of my friends/family who have joined did it to be a "warrior" which is seriously the most dumbass reason i have ever heard, and one i can not help but to think is rooted in
immaturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] is your problem? Can you have a conversation without being insulting?

How do you infer from my post that I think everybody who joined the army did it for one reason? How do you infer that I'm saying that one reason is to be a warrior? How do you infer that I'm talking specifically about the military? Why do you completely gloss over my entire post (which mentioned nothing of the military) and rant about your military family members?

What is your point?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

immaturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] is your problem? Can you have a conversation without being insulting?

How do you infer from my post that I think everybody who joined the army did it for one reason? How do you infer that I'm saying that one reason is to be a warrior? How do you infer that I'm talking specifically about the military?

Question: Do you feel that armed conflict is ever justified?

[/ QUOTE ]

Joining the military is fine, i have no problem with it. The only problem i do have is someone doing it solely based on the idea they are doing it to be a "warrior" (which is what i inferred from your post because it seems your were only talking about this)

Sure, there are plenty times of armed conflict is justified, if your Catholic the crusades were justified and if your a extremist Muslim killing jews and blowing yourself up is justified.