Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Personal security, disaster prepardness, and what are you doing?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
portable satellite phone, it's like the only communication device you're 100% sure will be usable. Plus with a laptop you can surf the net and play poker while everyone else is dying. On the minus side it costs a lot (well, like 1+grand)

but really, all you need is enough firepower to mug the local survival geek and steal his stuff [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...ina_satellite/

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack completely but I always thought an awesome real life Bondesque villian would be someone who just had a small spaceship that just held countries and major corporations satellites hostage. You could demand a billion easy per satellite otherwise you destroy it. If I was ever an eccentric billionaire I'd do this and figure out a way to retire on the moon.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread really confuses me. One of my earliest memories was the SF Bay Area Earthquake. I was 7 years old and we lost power for 3 days. My dad and I walked to the grocery store, bought some water and meat, grilled the meat and drank the water. We had some flashlights and stuff i guess, but what are you guys preparing for? It seems like having a shotgun as part of your emergency kit leans more towards wanting to shoot someone than it does wanting to survive during a disaster. I guess i just dont understand why the guns and like MRE's and stuff. It all seems beyond excessive imo.

while i disagree with what metetron said about the ATM's(powerloss ftl), he is on the right track. the most important thing to have around in an emergency:

CASH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the heck were you that the stores were open with no power? Where I was, the stores were all closed until the power came back on. Uncooked meat with no power is not going to last long. So, what, you cooked it the first day and ate it for the next two days? What would you have done if there was no power for 5 days?

Did you also forget the eathquake was in freakin' WATSONVILLE, 70 miles away?? What if the next one is in Hayward, 10 miles away? It will wreck power, water, and natural gas delivery, not for days, but probably weeks. You can walk with your dad to the store, but they won't have anything to sell you after a couple days, even if they are open with no power.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 AM

felicia

go to the library or find the six or eight books called foxfire. they were printed in the 1970's and were from interviews with old self sufficient people. wonderful and can be a guide on how to do everything from making food to violins to butter churns. once you start reading you cant stop.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this thread really confuses me. One of my earliest memories was the SF Bay Area Earthquake. I was 7 years old and we lost power for 3 days. My dad and I walked to the grocery store, bought some water and meat, grilled the meat and drank the water. We had some flashlights and stuff i guess, but what are you guys preparing for? It seems like having a shotgun as part of your emergency kit leans more towards wanting to shoot someone than it does wanting to survive during a disaster. I guess i just dont understand why the guns and like MRE's and stuff. It all seems beyond excessive imo.

while i disagree with what metetron said about the ATM's(powerloss ftl), he is on the right track. the most important thing to have around in an emergency:

CASH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the heck were you that the stores were open with no power? Where I was, the stores were all closed until the power came back on. Uncooked meat with no power is not going to last long. So, what, you cooked it the first day and ate it for the next two days? What would you have done if there was no power for 5 days?

Did you also forget the eathquake was in freakin' WATSONVILLE, 70 miles away?? What if the next one is in Hayward, 10 miles away? It will wreck power, water, and natural gas delivery, not for days, but probably weeks. You can walk with your dad to the store, but they won't have anything to sell you after a couple days, even if they are open with no power.

[/ QUOTE ]

legitimate question. i was in 1st grade when the earthquake hit, so it's hard for me to remember, but I didn't think all areas of the city lost power. We stayed with my aunt for 2 days and I thought it was because they had power. i could be wrong. my father was away on business at the time and maybe we just went ehre to be with family. how long did the whole city lose power for?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
felicia

go to the library or find the six or eight books called foxfire. they were printed in the 1970's and were from interviews with old self sufficient people. wonderful and can be a guide on how to do everything from making food to violins to butter churns. once you start reading you cant stop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Ray!

I have the Encyclopedia of Country Living and a few others. I have some books that are out of print and online free, also. I have read about everything from making my own clothing by skinning deer (LOL) to canning food to living without a car, electricity or any modern conveniences. Some things I have incorporated into my life, others are out of reach.

I will check out the Foxfire books at the library, if they have them.

I have a really terrific life, and I feel that part of it is the voluntary simplicity. I don't try to preach it to others, nor do I look down on people who live much differently than we do, but I truly enjoy a very stress-free, simple life.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM

Costco.com has a couple comprehensive-looking kits on this page. I just bought a couple for my wife's and my cars. Probably more expensive than they should be, but I'm lazy.