Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Negreanu borrows $100,000 in HSP

[ QUOTE ]
How come the other players don't have their lovers standing behind them looking very concerned everytime they are in a hand? Barry G had a relationship with Mimi Tran, the same way Tilley and Laak have a relationship that is why I think she is staking him. Academy award winners don't need face time on a third rate cable channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, Tilly is a B or C rated actress and can use all the face time she can get. She's done a few good movies but those were long ago and she knows that more people are seeing her on each episode of HSP then will see her in a movie.

Second, per your earlier post about all the stuff you heard at the table about Laak's loan and Antonio talking etc, where did you hear all this? It was only on TV for 30 seconds at most and even that was an edited version. We have absolutely no idea what led up to the loan. It could have been planned in advance since DN knew Laak was not an all day player. I didn't hear DM say "Hey Phil, loan me $100G please", did you? I heard some mumbling about don't forget to give me the hundred. Hey, for all we know DN staked Laak and he was repaying it or he owed DN the money.

Finally, even if it was a spur of the moment request from DN to Laak there is an image that any high stakes player has to project and that is not being concerned about cash. If Laak had said no he knows and we all know that his stock would have plummeted among his peers - even if that never made it on TV.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, Tilly is a B or C rated actress and can use all the face time she can get. She's done a few good movies but those were long ago and she knows that more people are seeing her on each episode of HSP then will see her in a movie.

Second, per your earlier post about all the stuff you heard at the table about Laak's loan and Antonio talking etc, where did you hear all this? It was only on TV for 30 seconds at most and even that was an edited version. We have absolutely no idea what led up to the loan. It could have been planned in advance since DN knew Laak was not an all day player. I didn't hear DM say "Hey Phil, loan me $100G please", did you? I heard some mumbling about don't forget to give me the hundred. Hey, for all we know DN staked Laak and he was repaying it or he owed DN the money.

Finally, even if it was a spur of the moment request from DN to Laak there is an image that any high stakes player has to project and that is not being concerned about cash. If Laak had said no he knows and we all know that his stock would have plummeted among his peers - even if that never made it on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. Jennifer Tilley has Simpsons money, she doesn't need any exposure or a movie role ever again. She married and divorced Simpson's producer Sam Simon. She has bucks!

Laak was definately loaning Negraenu money because Negreanu went on about people not paying back $20 or $100, but you know for sure you are going to get $100,000 back. As far as Buss asking DN for $50,000, how do you know that was a loan and not money DN owed Buss? I have no idea.

I agree with Laak not being able to turn down Negreanu, and once again I am sure the loan is no big deal at all. I just do not like the concept of borrowing money, a professional should be prepared and bring enough or have access to his cash. Obviously in the big game, because of the monetary amounts, loans are common place and these guys are good for their word; but someone once told me its no laughing matter if someone gets stiffed. I heard Doyle was a guy you would not want to stiff on a loan!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. Jennifer Tilley has Simpsons money, she doesn't need any exposure or a movie role ever again. She married and divorced Simpson's producer Sam Simon. She has bucks!

Laak was definately loaning Negraenu money because Negreanu went on about people not paying back $20 or $100, but you know for sure you are going to get $100,000 back. As far as Buss asking DN for $50,000, how do you know that was a loan and not money DN owed Buss? I have no idea.

I agree with Laak not being able to turn down Negreanu, and once again I am sure the loan is no big deal at all. I just do not like the concept of borrowing money, a professional should be prepared and bring enough or have access to his cash. Obviously in the big game, because of the monetary amounts, loans are common place and these guys are good for their word; but someone once told me its no laughing matter if someone gets stiffed. I heard Doyle was a guy you would not want to stiff on a loan!

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] it. I call troll.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:38 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

I think that the important part here is that ninety-five percent of all the information we get winds up on the cutting room floor, so drawing a serious conclusion from any of this is nearly impossible.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what point are you trying to make? You keep arguing both sides.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ascribing her motives as purely financial view but as someone who has grown up in LA the real motive for wanting to get face time is to build your power. What would Tilly's power be? it could be anything from a movie she needs investors for (the real players in Hollywood do not put up their own money), to a reality TV show she wants to get going. The fact that she has big bucks from her former marriage is practically meaningless here.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the important part here is that ninety-five percent of all the information we get winds up on the cutting room floor, so drawing a serious conclusion from any of this is nearly impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 AM

To claim Laak is staked by Tilly and use her cash as a reason to support your argument is missing out on a pretty big point.

Laak has been beating cash games since the late 90s. The fact that he hasnt translated this into tournament sucesses gives people a really distorted view of just how much has won at poker over the years
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 AM

To say that Tilly is standing behind Laak for exposure is absurd. He's her boyfriend, she's into poker and it's possible she has some money on the line.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what point are you trying to make? You keep arguing both sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I concede that loans in the big game are standard fare and the players involved are as good as gold, there is something about DN that strikes me as odd. He is definately a genius and a great poker player but I sense he is a sick gambler too. He says he is up $1.7 million for the year in poker but does not include HSP, his heads up Winn matches (although he has said he is ahead there too) and golf bets. He said he recently lost an undisclosed amount in golf that would make you "sick".

He obviously has made lots of money in and out of poker and borrowing $100,000 from Laak is no big deal. Its just that my experience with unprepared, shoot from the hip, loose cannons with gambling problems, like DN appears to be, is they usually implode sooner or later.