Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Fixing the Main Event

Is OP propossing that NBA officials be enlisted to make floor decisions?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is honestly the worst post I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is honestly the worst post in the history of the internet, books, or written language period.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 PM

One of the things that makes poker great and separates it from most other professions is that it is, assuming that it is a game of skill, a pure meritocracy. Anyone can play, and if they play better than everyone else, they can succeed. It doesn't matter who you know, it doesn't matter what other people think about you. There are no judges to impress, no asses to kiss.

The HORSE event was created so that the clique of players who think they're great and their friends could play against each other, with the buy-in so high that few others would dare enter. Now that two out of the top three in that event were so-called nobodies, they'll have to create yet another "true" world championship of poker.

Creating A and B lists of players and separating them from the rest of the field goes against the true nature of poker IMO. I for one love watching the WSOP and WPT on TV, and can't stand watching invitational events (although this may have to do with the production quality and money at stake as well).

And yes, given that this my second lengthy philosophical post of the day, it would be safe to conclude that I'm extremely bored right now.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is honestly the worst post I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

You speak the truth
Old 07-20-2007, 05:08 PM

God how sick would your equity be if you were one of the group A list.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 PM

I could not stop laughing at OP, then i read the thread and I almost died.

Awesome job, OP. This was the worst idea I've ever seen on 2p2, and I'm a bbv'er! CONGRATS !
Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about simply, "Fixing the Main Event". We will never forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, "Official Post Padding Thread"
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My proposal:

Form a committee of 20 or so people (2+2 forumers?) to construct a list of all of the well-known/semi-known players that have signed up to the main event. This list should include players that have had notable success in the past... no Shannon Elizabeths or Antonio Tarvers. Any borderline people where the committee has disagreements, flip a coin. Put those people into group A. The rest of the signups go into group B. Then have both groups battle it out amongst their own until there are 8 representatives from each. Once that occurs, have two 8 handed, mixed tables... call it the sweet 16 just to be catchy. Then when it's down to 9 players, go to the final table.

I think this would help make watching the main event much more interesting, and still allow nobodies a good shot of winning it too. Sure, the nobodies need to win the ME from time to time so the fish get optimistic, but the downside of them always winning is that it further enforces the stigma that poker is mainly luck and little skill, which is bad for legalization purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats just stupid. Some have to beat 6000 players and others have to beat 600 players and you propose treating them the same.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM

JUPITER

Jupiter is the fourth brightest object in the sky (after the Sun, the Moon and Venus). It has been known since prehistoric times as a bright "wandering star". But in 1610 when Galileo first pointed a telescope at the sky he discovered Jupiter's four large moons Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto (now known as the Galilean moons) and recorded their motions back and forth around Jupiter. This was the first discovery of a center of motion not apparently centered on the Earth. It was a major point in favor of Copernicus's heliocentric theory of the motions of the planets (along with other new evidence from his telescope: the phases of Venus and the mountains on the Moon). Galileo's outspoken support of the Copernican theory got him in trouble with the Inquisition. Today anyone can repeat Galileo's observations (without fear of retribution :-) using binoculars or an inexpensive telescope.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Re: Fixing the Main Event

so..... this isn't a thread about cheating?